Scars

Hey little princess, you know I will always protect you, right? 

Nia could see Michael and her when they were younger, running in the woods without a care in their life. They were playing pirates and princesses. 

Even though he was five years older than her, Michael never pushed her aside. On the contrary, he was overprotective and the funniest person. They lived in their little bubble. Nobody could tear them apart, and Nia was truly happy back then. 

With Michael by her side, she was brave and could handle from a scrapped knee to the worst nightmares. (AUTHOR'S NOTE: When I picture Michael in Nia's memories I am thinking Cole Sprouse playing that role)

Nia woke up thinking more about Michael than usual. She missed him terribly. She was still holding on to the hope that he would walk through her house's door and return to make her life stable again.

She would love to talk to him about Isaac; something about him reminded him of Michael.

Maybe it was that they were the same height and almost towered over her. Or perhaps it was how they both made her laugh and forget about reality.

Isaac didn't come to the bakery this morning, and Nia wondered if it had to do with their sudden proximity from yesterday.

She didn't want things to get weird between them.

It had only been a few days, but it had been a long time since she had someone to talk to without being constantly reminded of her past, and she appreciated that.

Talking with Isaac made her feel like he was listening to her, not paying attention to the scars that populated her body (mainly her left side).

Her face was almost intact, only a single cut line on the side of her forehead that she was thankfully able to cover with her hair, but the rest of her left side, including her arm, her torso, and her leg, were full of dark red marks some larger than others. 

The worst scar was on her thigh, evidence that her bone broke and protruded out of her skin, that's why she used a cane and wore long pants or long skirts.

Anyway, she thought she could go to the Police station and drop some baked goodies for Isaac and Xavier to avoid making it weird. So she left Celine in charge of the shop and started walking.

She used to jog and was even training for her first marathon, but that was before the tragedy.

Nowadays, walking too far from her house is a daunting exercise.

Her therapist kept telling her not to force herself and that staying close to her house was okay instead of wandering off too far to avoid triggering her crippling anxiety.

She was exhausted from walking around seven blocks but was finally about to enter the station when she noticed Isaac hugging an astonishing girl.

Tight black jeans, black leather jacket, amazing black hair, gorgeous dark and smooth skin, and fantastic curves, nothing like her for sure.

She couldn't help but feel her heart shrink, and she didn't know why this was happening to her.

She shouldn't have any reaction to Isaac being with someone else. They just met and are only getting to know each other.

As much as she tried to turn around unnoticed, Isaac noticed her skipping heartbeat.

He let go of Braeden (the girl who saves wolves) and looked at Nia, who was fighting to grasp her breath. 

Nia couldn't believe a more embarrassing moment to get one of her panic attacks.

"What the hell? What is Nia doing on this side of the town?" asked Xavier with eyes wide open. "Bring her here. Medic, call a medic," screamed Xavier to one of the guys in the station.

Braeden had just arrived and was trying to understand what was happening, while Isaac looked seriously worried about Nia. He didn't know what was happening, but he was concerned about Nia's health and what she was making him feel.

Nia's therapist showed up and injected her with a medication that was supposed to calm her nerves.

"To be honest, I don't trust this doctor that much. She has been treating Nia for the past few years, but I don't see any improvement. In fact, I feel like she is weaker both emotionally and physically. Something is not right," mumbled Xavier suspiciously towards Braeden.

Braeden made a mental note. "Investigate the doctor."

While these two were working on a theory about the doctor, Nia was still pretty much druggy and out of it. 

Isaac decided to take Nia home and stay there if she needed any help. She barely reacted towards him as he walked her home or helped her get in her room.