Chapter 20: Surprises

For a few seconds, as my mind still lingered somewhere between sleep and wakefulness, I enjoyed the feel of silk against my skin. Then, I remembered everything that happened and my eyes opened abruptly. When I sat upright, pain spread through my lung.

I winced and looked down.

Someone had changed my clothes while I slept, and I hoped it wasn't Dorian, but I was now wearing a clean white shirt, a bit too tight around my chest, and pink shorts with tiny red strawberries unevenly speckled over the fabric.

I'd recognise the room anywhere – the king-sized bed I longed to jump on so many times, but was never allowed to, the white-painted wooden vanity against the opposite wall, and the wall-to-floor white closet with large mirror covering one of its sliding doors. Oh, the closet. How many times I wished I was old enough to wear all the dresses that were probably still hanging inside.

Unexpected lump squeezed my throat.

I was in Dorian's parents' room. And it still looked exactly the same.

Faint twilight light spilled over the beige parquet, illuminating everything orange and pink.

Recollection of the previous night flashed before my eyes.

"Dorian?" I raised my voice, letting the anger out.

The white wooden door creaked and opened, "Good morning, sleepyhead."

I pushed the sheets off my body, "Why the hell didn't you wake me up?"

Dorian entered the room, no sight of my blood over him, just a smooth black suit that I was so used to seeing on him. He crossed his hands on his chest, a smirk gripping his lips.

"I tried." His shoulders raised and lowered quickly. "You told me to go fuck myself."

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Thirty-six hours."

"What?" I jumped out of the bed, completely forgetting the clothes on me were way too tiny. "Lucia- I need to find Lucia-"

Dorian gave me a once over, his eyebrow lifting delicately, "I told Cherry to find something that actually fits. I forgot your boobs are bigger than hers."

I was about to strangle him, "How could you let me sleep? I need to get to Lucia-"

"Lucia is here."

My mouth dropped.

"What?"

"I had her transferred here after you told me about her." Dorian leaned against the doorframe, his arms still folded. "That hospital wasn't safe."

"But-" My thoughts felt mushy and intertwined. "She needs to be monitored! Martin said he had to run tests on her and see if she- if she needed special care – oh, God, what the fuck were you thinking?"

"Do you want to go see her?" Dorian asked, unfazed by my outbursts.

"Yes!"

"Follow me."

He turned around and walked away. I winced when I noticed fuzzy bunny slippers next to my bed, but put them on anyway. Fucking Cherry. How could he be with someone so basic?

Oh, God, she wasn't even a blood whore, I realised as I followed him through the tall white hallways. She lived with him. They were together. All the while he was engaged to my sister!

We were walking towards his late brother's room, and another lump formed in my throat. Beside genuine sadness and nostalgia, another emotion burst through – shame.