Chapter 12: Devils from the Shadows

Jax and I had five rum shots each before I ordered the girly drink – Coquito, a rum-based, sweet and creamy tropical drink with hints of coconuts, cinnamon and vanilla.

He ordered lots of traditional dishes for us: Mofongo, a mashed plantain dish, filled with meats and seafood, Arroz con gandules, which was rice cooked with pigeon peas, and Asopao, thick stew made with chicken and vegetables.

Jax ate like his life depended on it, which it did. But my own appetite surprised me more. It's been almost two months since I've last eaten anything human, and I enjoyed the different tastes, aromas, spices and herbs. Everything he ordered, I gladly tried.

By the time we've finished our meals – my appetite was sated, and I was drunk on rum and his proximity. As the night went by, Jax came closer and closer to me. My body responded, sending jolts of electricity down my spine each time he touched my arm or leg.

Which he did often.

He told me about his upbringing. Some things he shared were so honest and brutal that it made me feel guilty for being such a stupid fucking liar. He told me his father got into some shady stuff, and he'd tried to escape his shadow by joining the military.

I told him about my father, how for the biggest chunk of my life I didn't even wonder where his wealth came from, and how I still wasn't sure if any of it was legal, which was true. How I had been his favourite up until I started asking questions about his business, and he disowned me without a second thought, leaving me high and dry.

Jax listened without judgement, his eyes never leaving mine, and asked questions about how the entire thing made me feel, whether I missed my family, whether a part of me wanted to go back.

After the sixth shot of rum, I didn't even care if I was oversharing.

Part of me thought I needed to protect my community, but the drunker, more destructive part of me just wanted someone to know, even if it brought forth our ruin.

"I still think you're brave, for what it's worth." He spoke, leaning his elbow against the plate-filled table. "Not many people would have the guts to leave the comfort of their wealth."

"It's all blood money."

In more ways than one.

"Blood money's still money." Jax shrugged. "I'm proud of you."

My heart swelled to the point of exploding. I've heard many things in my life, but no one has ever expressed their pride in regards to me.

"I thought I'd be better off." I admitted, the truth spilling from my lips like the rum had spilled over the colourful tablecloth. "But I'm not, I'm fucking miserable."

"You're babysitting a pregnant teenager." Jax said. "If you weren't miserable, you'd be a psychopath."

I laughed, "She's a handful, that's for sure."

Jax's expression dimmed significantly, and his eyes darted around the table.

"She looks... bad." He looked up at me. "How bad is she?"

He had no fucking idea. But frankly, no one did. Not even Doctor Martin.

"It's bad." My voice quivered.

"How far along is she anyway?" Jax asked. "She looks very pregnant."

Quickly, I tried to calculate how far along she would be if she were human. Vampire pregnancies were twice as long as human, but her belly wouldn't be quite as big if she were only five or four months pregnant. I hoped Jax knew about pregnancies as much as the next single, childless guy.