Chapter 23: Never Have I Ever

The atmosphere in the house turned thick and tense, and I tiptoed around Jax like I feared he would see something incriminating everywhere he went. I prayed to any god that might exist that Dorian hid blood bags, blood whores and torture victims in the depths of his basement.

Jax's step through the house was confident and determined, and he walked straight to the staircase at the end of the hallway.

"I assume she's upstairs?" He asked, but he was already climbing.

"Uh, yes. I'll escort you."

We didn't make it upstairs, because Lucia showed up on the top, dressed in a long pink pregnancy dress with tiny white floral pattern, a raised eyebrow, and a smirk lifting up the corner of her lips.

I put my hands on my hips, "You should be in bed."

"No." She shook her head. "I should spend time with people, doctor's orders."

Dorian and I exchanged a glance. People, not vampires.

"And you should help me get down." Lucia continued. "Hi, Jax, good to see you."

My almost lover climbed up immediately, "I'll help you, come on."

"And I'll tell Cherry to put the kettle on." Dorian turned on his heel and walked away.

Jax put his hand around Lucia's back and walked with her down the stairs patiently, making sure she leaned on him as much as possible. It warmed my heart to an impossible degree, and when they reached the first floor, Lucia was blushing like mad, and I was half in love with the vampire hunter.

The fact he wanted to make sure she was okay did something to me. The sincerity and kindness of this gesture was something rarely seen in our midst. I also didn't know what terrified me more – the vampire hunter being in a vampire home, Dorian and Jax's strange disdain for one another, or an amused glint in Lucia's eyes.

Slowly, we reached the living room, and I was surprised to see all the furniture back in its place and Cherry sitting on the sofa, dressed in a short black cocktail dress.

"Hello, hello." The blonde chirped. "I'm Cherry, Dorian's girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you." Jax murmured, his confused eyes meeting mine.

"Dorian doesn't believe in monogamy." I clarified, and turned to Cherry. "Does he?"

"Only insecure men believe in monogamy, Odette." Cherry crossed her legs.

Lucia managed to sit on the sofa next to Cherry, grunting, "Well, he's engaged to Odette's sister, so he must think there's some value in monogamy."

"What?" Jax's head snapped in my direction.

"Engagements are just men's way of convincing women they want something serious, when they're not really ready to settle." Cherry brushed it off. "You either get married or break up, everyone knows that."

I raised my eyebrow, "You're a side piece either way, Cher."

The blonde scoffed.

"I am so confused." Jax murmured.

Dorian entered the room with a bottle of liquor and a cup of tea in his hands, "I figured we might need whiskey."

"Good call." I stole the bottle.

"Tea is for you." He put the cup in front of Lucia.

"Great." Her lips turned into a stiff line. "Just what I need to take the edge off, camomile."

"You can get drunk once you have that baby." I said. "Until then, camomile."

"Well, if I can't entertain myself with a glass of whiskey, you're going to have to entertain me instead." Lucia grinned. "How about we play something?"