Chapter 44: Means to an End

The drive to Mott Haven was tense.

Dorian and I were both tired beyond belief, and all I wanted was to collapse and sleep it all off – Lucia, Edmond, Jax. Forget about it all for a minute.

Still, something inside me remained restless. A fly of suspicion buzzed inside my skull, waking me up the moment my mind drifted away.

"You had a man on the inside." I said once we were close enough to our destination.

I wanted to talk, but I also wanted the conversation to be short.

"I have men everywhere, you'll need to be more specific." Dorian leaned his head against the seat and looked at me sideways, his gaze blurry and lost.

"That hunter. The Asian guy." I said. "He's a vampire."

"Oh, you've met Haoyu." Dorian smiled. "A great guy, an absolute beast in a fight, but nimble as a ballerina when it comes to sneaking into unsuspecting enemy's territory."

I let out a rough laugh, "You knew everything. The moment Jimmy knew it, you knew it."

Dorian just looked at me, "Did you think I'd let you run around with hunters without knowing you're safe?"

Another laugh, "Don't pretend this is all for my benefit."

"It sounds more romantic that way."

Our gazes locked.

The car stopped and the driver glanced behind, "Mr. Darascu, we're here."

"Thank you, Roger." Dorian averted his gaze, opened the door and stepped out of the car.

I followed, although I would have rather done anything that walked back into Sabor de Isla, the Puerto Rican restaurant Jax took me to on our first date. The sun was high up, burning into my skin as if trying to tell me I didn't belong in the path of its rays.

I preferred night anyway.

Unlike the first time I've been here, there was no loud music and joyous laughter, only a few men sitting around a single table, a bottle containing clear liquid in front of them and sour frowns on their faces. When they saw us, their shoulders fell just a bit more and their frowns deepened. Mikey tried to stand up to greet us, but Jax grabbed his forearm and pulled him down. His shoulder was bandaged.

"Leave." Jax looked at his comrades. "I want to talk to them alone."

"Are you sure?" One of the hunters, a tall blonde guy, asked.

"Yes." Jax remained sitting. "Leave."

Mikey was the last to walk away, gaze jumping between Dorian and me, like he couldn't quite believe we were vampires. Finally, his shoulders slumped and he walked out.

"I assume your plan worked." Jax leaned against the seat and threw his healthy hand over the side. "Considering you're not dead."

"More or less." Dorian pulled out a chair for me. "We have a few things to discuss."

I sat down and eyed the bottle, wondering if my body could take another drink.

"Help yourself." Jax murmured, eyeing me.

Dorian poured us a drink, then sat down, "Right then. Since we can finally be honest with each other, I suggest we continue down that road. I'll start. Where is Jimmy?"

"In a hospital." Jax said, voice cold.

"I'm afraid we'll have to hand him over to Edmond."

Jax flinched, eyes jumping to me, "Seriously?"