Chapter 26: Thunderstorms

As predicted, I haven't slept, but I also haven't woken up Jax because he needed sleep more than me, and because I needed time to think.

When the clock ticked 4AM, I finally got out of the bed, took the bottle of whiskey we haven't finished, and strolled to the terrace, seriously pondering the possibility that I might be developing a drinking problem.

I wanted to think about my family, about Edmond, and how I wanted to take him down. Which I did, if for nothing else, then for what he did to Lucia.

The weather changed above New York City; thick clouds full of rain covered the skies, and lightning flashed behind them, emphasizing their darkness. The unusual heat lingered in the air, though, suffocating me.

You have until 10PM tomorrow to decide if you want to see your family.

I leaned on the retaining brick wall and brought the bottle of whiskey to my lips. If only I had the ability to read Dorian's mind. I could read through all of his facades and pretences, and finally know what he had planned. Because I knew he had a plan. He was just that type of a person – always planning, scheming, manipulating.

He was probably trying to manipulate me too, and the game was probably long.

Warm wind whooshed through my hair, eerily similar to the wind that day, the day I'd had my final honest conversation with Dorian, the day I'd told him I hated him and he'd harboured the same feeling towards me.

On the one hand, his invitation played exactly into what I wanted, my seat on the Council. On the other, I had only wanted my seat on the Council so I could get my money and help Lucia. With Dorian so generously providing for her, there was no reason for me to see my family.

I could forget about them, move on with my life, build another one. Nothing held me back anymore, and if I wanted Edmond behind bars, I could make Dorian take care of it.

But I didn't trust Dorian, his generosity aside.

There was something else too, an itch I couldn't scratch, a feeling I couldn't shake off, a need to take Edmond down myself.

If I accepted Dorian's invitation, I could talk to my family again. Hell, maybe I could even convince my father to allow me back on the Council, and then I could destroy Edmond from the inside.

There was only one problem – Jax would never understand.

I knew he wanted me to stay as far away as possible from Dorian, and if he knew my family, he'd want me to stay away from them as well. Part of me wanted to stay away too.

Yet, there was that itch. An unbearable burning under my skin that desperately needed to be soothed.

I took out my phone and typed in "fine, I'll go," and deleted it immediately.

I'd have to actually face my father, and my mother, and Libby. I couldn't look at any of them. My appearance would cause havoc, especially if I showed up with Dorian. Him taking me as his plus one was a statement, one I wasn't sure I dared to make. I was also certain he knew exactly what he was doing, and I didn't like that notion one bit. What did he want? What was his end game?

My heart skipped a beat as I typed "fuck you" into my phone, and deleted it immediately.

Maybe he wanted to ruin me. That possibility wasn't too far fetched. After all, he's been claiming he hated me for ten years now. This was his chance – get me to come with him and embarrass me in front of our entire community. He could make sure no one talked to me ever again. Or he wanted to lure me back in because he knew how desperately I wanted out in the first place.