1~ Simple, But Effective

**BRADLEY**

I turned the piece of paper over in my hands as I walked to the boys changing rooms. I pushed open the door to the spacious room. Connor was sat in our spot in the corner of the changing rooms.

He looked up from the book he was reading, probably Harry Potter, and smiled.

We didn't have any other friends, so every lunch time we'd come and sit in the boys changing rooms. The rugby team would come in every Tuesday and get changed into their kit, which me and Con both enjoyed watching. They never minded, we were just two nerds who sat in the changing rooms because we had nowhere else to go.

Con had always had a huge crush on James McVey, the star rugby player. Every Tuesday Connor would watch James getting changed, he didn't think I'd notice, but I did. I didn't blame him to be honest, James McVey was the most popular guy at school, and he had killer abs.

"What's that?" Con asked when I sat down, he was talking about the piece of paper in my hand.

I felt my cheeks beer up, "N- Nothing."

I cheeky grin slid into Connor's face, "Let me see."

"No." I tried to hide the crumpled note, but Connor snatched it off me.

"You look lovely today," Con read out the note in his 'Margaret' voice, "love from... unknown."

I sighed and buried my face in my hands in embarrassment.

"Who gave ya this then?" Connor nudged my shoulder repeatedly, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Dunno," I said, acting as if it wasn't a big deal, "It was stuffed down the side of my locker."

Con flipped the note over, just as I had did so moments before, "I wonder who 'unknown' is."

I sighed sadly, it was probably just somebody playing a prank on me.

We didn't speak of the note for the rest of lunchtime, when I got home I placed it on my desk, re-reading it over and over.

It was so simple, but effective.

Who would send this to me? I wasn't popular or anything, I literally had one friend.

I had trouble sleeping that night, the note kept playing on my mind. Did someone actually like me? I wasn't attractive, I wasn't popular, I wasn't likeable. So why would someone go to the efforts of writing me a love letter?

They didn't even leave a name, just a small, useless scribble on the bottom of the piece of paper saying 'Unknown'.