Chapter 12: Darkness Rising, part 5

Chapter 12

               - Darkness Rising, part 5 -

  Back at the Drive-in. Ioana remembered the last time she had been here quite clearly. But that was the past. It had also been evening, and now was morning. Quite early too. Ioana hid behind a street light pole. It was Arcee's turn to try and get Jack back. 

  - With Arcee and Jack -

  Jack arrived with his bicycle at his job. He left his bike on one of the bike keepers and chained it. He looked at the flashing lights of the sign of the fast food restaurant and sighed.

  "Nice bike." came from behind him.

  The boy turned around and laid his eyes on the familiar blue motorcycle.

  "Arcee, really. Miko and Ioana already tried." the boy said, walking towards the femme. "Tell Optimus I respect him big time, but if you're at war with the Decepticons, there's nothing I can do to help." he stopped and turned his head away, not wanting to look at Arcee.

  "Optimus didn't send me, and no one's asking for your help." Arcee reassured him, her voice calm and comforting, and Jack finally looked at her.

  "OK, so, if we both agree that I'm not warrior material, I..." the boy trailed off, not knowing what to add anymore.

  "Jack, I just lost someone I cared about. Maybe it's the grief talking," the femme's voice was shaking, showing just how much the loss affected her, "maybe you and Ioana are growing on me. Whatever it is, I'm just not ready to say good-bye." Arcee admitted and the hidden Ioana felt her heart ache, for she knew the agony and misery of losing somebody important.

  Jack just looked at the femme with sad and helpless eyes. Arcee knew there was nothing more she could do and turned to leave.  

  "Wait!"

  And Arcee did wait. She internally smiled as Jack climbed on and put his helmet. Then, she turned around, and went to where Ioana stayed hidden.

  -Back to Ioana -

  Ioana was truly relieved that Jack changed his mind.

  "So, you've finally put yourself together?" Ioana asked with the smallest of smirks on her face.

  "Wha-? You-you were here, spying?!" Jack asked stunned.

  "Of course not. I was just waiting for you to make up your mind." Ioana scoffed, not pleased to being called an eavesdropper.