Chapter 2

After their dinner out, both Susan and Soraya decided to go window shopping down rodeo drive then head off home. Once home both separately went to their respective rooms to get ready to call off the day. Soraya thought that what her father is asking was both unfair and a chance at exploring her unanswered questions with their relationship. Her father was not really active in regards to her but she cannot deny that in the financial side he was not lacking, she was just sad that it was the only relationship that he was willing to give more than a hundred percent. She fell in a dream less sleep thinking about the past and her regrets, but it was a good night's sleep. She kind of woke up the next day a little exhausted but at the same time with her head very much clearer than ever. So she called her mom to say that she will go to Dubai to spend her time with her father, which Susan was not in a bit surprised."Honey whether you agreed or not you already have a first class ticket going there." Her mother trailed off on the phone. When she hangs up she decided to go buy something for the trip, just the essentials so she drove herself to The Glendale Galleria to do it and also grab something to eat. As she was browsing thru the stores she decided to get some new swim wear and went to Macy's to check their collection. As she was checking out some items she wants to try, Soraya happens upon two persons arguing, the boy was really angry and his voice was going above the older gentleman, both of them had the look of Middle Eastern men. She got engrossed with what is happening although she did not understand their language, when the boy suddenly looked up and seen her looking at them that his face become white as sheet and his eyes had become as big as saucers. Soraya was weirded out with what suddenly happened that she high tailed it out of there without finishing her fittings. But just went to other stores instead. She was at the mall till evening time so she just bought dinner to share with her mom; she arrived home at the same time with her. While they were eating they talked about what she bought and what to expect during her stay there.

"Mom, what was it like when you lived there with Dad?" Soraya asked.

"It was super hot during the summer, but winter time was the best." Susan said. "How was the shopping expedition at Glendale by the way?"

"It was okay, just that something weird happened at Macy's, there was two men there arguing and the younger man saw me looking at them." Soraya said.

"Well if they were loud nobody could help in being netted in their drama." Susan said.

"The only thing that was unsettling was when the younger guy saw me; his face became as white as a sheet as if he had seen a ghost." She answered.

"That is weird, and then what happened did you find out?" Susan asked.

"I left right away; I became really uncomfortable after that." She said.

"Hmmm okay, anyway when you pack take some modest clothes as that country are somewhat traditional especially if you are staying with the whole family." Susan said in thought. "It's better to remember to always respect their laws and culture although we always see in the media that Dubai is now an open country."

"I know that mom, and it helps that I don't look like a foreigner when I arrive there." She said laughing thinking about it.

"Be serious Soraya, whatever you do there will reflect on how I raised you. I don't want them to criticize us." Susan said in a very serious tone.

"Mom please give me a little credit, I will never give you any reason to be criticized by them. Also they don't have any right to claim anything or to say anything against you." She said heatedly.

"I know honey; I love you very much I think I'm just nervous for you on this trip since it's your first time to meet all of them." She said. "To be honest I never liked or was even at eased with your father's side of the family. It's like they are always so secretive about their actions and intentions that's all."

"Whatever it is that they have I am just there to get to know them on the superficial level, then come back here to my normal life." She said. "A month is just so fast mom; I'll be back here in no time at all since you're so busy you won't notice it."

"Yes I know, just enjoy your stay there and make memories that you can reminisce when you get older." Susan said while laughing.

The next day, Susan dropped off Soraya at the airport and has given her last minute instructions and advices.

"Once you arrive there give me a call right away, and do enjoy yourself on the flight as you will be spending more than a few hours in the plane. Good thing your father bought you a first class ticket with Emirates, it would be a great experience." Susan said while checking out Soraya's bags and hugging her very hard.

"Since everything is a first time for me, I hope it would always be positive experiences. Actually this would be my first time going on a long flight so I really hope first class will come thru for me." Soaraya said. "I also drank some anti-motion sickness meds just to make sure I will not vomit or anything."

"That's the spirit honey! Well happy trip and see you in a few weeks." Susan said, while waving Soraya when she went through customs.