My Parents

***** POSSIBLE TRIGGER WARNING. *****

I woke up, and I was still thinking about seeing those people who looked like my parents in the front row last night. Immediately, I got upset about it. I started crying, and I got out of bed so I wouldn't wake Alex since he was still sleeping. I called Annemieke.

"Hey.."

"Good morning to you too." she said.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

"Yes, but it's okay. Are you okay?"

"Not really.. I was wondering if we could meet somewhere and talk?"

"You can come over to my house?" she offered.

"Can we go to the woods by your house?"

"Sure. Come on over."

"Okay. Give me fifteen minutes to get some clothes on and get over there." I said.

"Okay. I'll see you soon."

I went to the bathroom and washed my face and brushed my teeth. I put on light makeup. I let my hair out of the messy bun I put it in after my shower last night, and it was in waves, so I left it. I put on my mint floral shirt, and my high waisted shorts. I topped the look off with my combat boots. I put my phone in my pocket, and I told Alex that I'd be back, though he didn't hear me.

I drove to Annemieke's house, and she greeted me with a hug. She had a water bottle for each of us, and she grabbed my hand and we walked up the hill to the peak. We got up there, and she looked at me, telling me to begin explaining what was wrong. So, I began at the beginning of it all.

" When I was young, I was close to my mother. I excelled in school, despite everything that went on at home. My mother was always so proud of me, my father never caring or knowing, really. You see, when I was younger, my father was an alcoholic and was abusive to my mother and I, especially to my mother." She gasped at this, and placed her hand on my knee apologetically.

" My mother and father met in high school. My father was the popular kid of their school. My mom was a loner who was bullied.... a lot. They had the same schedule due to both of them being in higher classes, and they were sat next to each other in a bunch of them because my father almost never quit talking, and my mother didn't talk much. My father would try to convince my mother to let him come over and study, but she would never let him because she thought he was setting her up. One day all of his friends started harassing her, and he stood up to them, and led her to her table and ate lunch with her. That day she invited him over, and from there a friendship blossomed. He invited her to their junior prom, and she accepted. He got a lot of hate from his friends for it, because he was the football captain their junior year. Eight months after their prom, I was born." Annemieke took a sip of her water.

"Father says that I ruined his life, and that mother did as well. After I was born, father lost his scholarship for football, because he started to lose his 'magic touch' on the field due to him stressing out over school, a job, football, and my mother and I. My father dropped out of school senior year, and took on a second job. My mother finished high school, and then they moved into their own house. He started becoming a major alcoholic. He continuously beat my mother and I. She took as much of the pain as she could bear. She did as much as she could to protect me." I got a bit emotional at this, and I stopped for a minute. I took a drink of water, and Annemieke looked at me apologetically.

" I don't remember much from when I was little and lived with both of them. I've blocked the memories because it was such a terrible environment. I remember how scared I always was that he would come back drunk and hit one of us, and I remember hiding because my mom told me to, while I could hear her crying from him hitting her, but I can't remember much else."