14: Lake Tahoe

(Ophelia's POV)

Five Days Later...

I guess it was time.

If I wanted to keep her, I had to show her I was dedicated to us.

I was going to open up my gift.

I had everything planned out. I was going to ask her to go on a long weekend trip with me to Lake Tahoe. I was going to rent a cabin for us. Well, to be honest, it was already booked. And trust me, I made sure there was only one bedroom.

I was just about to head over to Andrea's house and tell her all of this when I got a call from her. I answered it quickly.

"Hey," I said, trying to contain my smile.

But Andrea's tone wasn't exactly cheery, and I could tell something was up.

"Hey, doll. Can you . . . can you come over? There's something I need to tell you," Andrea struggled over her words, and it alarmed me.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be over in a second. Andrea?" I hesitated, but she was all ears.

"Yes, doll?" she asked, and her voice was full of tenderness.

"I love you," I replied, closing my eyes shut tight before opening them again. The world seemed brighter after saying it to her once more.

"I love you too, dolly. Hurry over," she said before hanging up. I sighed wearily. Why couldn't we just ever be okay?

Andrea let me in, but I could tell she'd been crying. Now that I thought about it, where were her clients? Why was she inviting me over at six p.m., around the time of her last appointment?

"What's wrong, baby?" I inquired after the door was fastened. She could hardly face me before saying,

"I think we should have a seat in the living room."

My heart sank to my feet.

I followed her into the familiar living room, thinking of that night almost a week ago when I'd shown up at her house and she let me sleep right where I was sitting, how blissful it had been to be in her arms.

"I-" Andrea choked out before holding a tissue up to her mouth to catch her sobs. I sat closer to her and put my arm around her waist.

"It's okay. Just tell me," I coaxed, and she seemed to get herself together, at least enough to say,

"I have to move to Frisco. I got the decision today in court. If I ever want to see her again, I've got to move to Frisco, and that's-"

"Three hours and forty-five minutes away. I know," I said, my voice despondent. I was in too much shock to cry, so I held it all in for the time being.

I was good at that.

"We can make this work," I pleaded, "I can see you on the weekends."

"Ophelia-"

"Or maybe I can get a new job somewhere closer to you. Andrea? Please don't say this is the end," I was falling apart at this new information, and this time, I feared she wouldn't be there to catch me.

"You know that wouldn't be practical. You love your job. You're creative director!" Andrea wiped at her tears, and I turned to face her more.

"None of that shit matters to me anymore. I didn't even wanna be an engineer," I admitted. Andrea shook her head.

"It's settled, Ophelia," she decided, and it was beginning to feel real.

"Stop calling me that! It's not good if you're calling me by my actual name. I'm your doll, remember?" I took her hands, made her look at me.