Chapter 15: Date

TRIGGER WARNING: Possessive/manipulative behavior, non-explicit references to physical intimacy, general a**hole-ish behavior, minor cursing

As her boyfriend made a u-turn around the traffic divider at the entrance of the college, (Y/n) snuck a glance over her shoulder through the passenger window, trying to spy Matthew waiting by the bus stop for Alfred.

"Babe, everything okay? Did you forget something?"

The woman turned back sharply and smiled for the man driving the sedan.

"Ah, no, just people-watching. How was your day?"

He hummed to himself, tousling his (h/c) hair with one hand before reaching for (Y/n)'s where it rested in her lap. The summer heat made it a bit uncomfortable to have the warmth of his large palm against her skin, but hand-holding was his thing; the girl grinned and bore it for the moment.

"Not too bad! I've got a lot of homework for my math class, but I can burn through it quickly. I've really just been looking forward to snuggling up with you at my place, maybe playing some games or watching a movie..."

His hand squeezed hers possessively, hard enough to pinch against the flesh of her thigh. (Y/n) couldn't help the frown that curled her lips at the pressure, both physical and social, "But, I thought we were going out on a date tonight...?"

Her boyfriend's content smile shrunk a bit as they came to a light, and he turned to face her more directly: "This is still a date! We've got a nice drive back, we can make ramen at home, and we can get plenty of time alone together before I take you back at nine."

"Well, yeah, but I kind of wanna do something with you other than video games at home... We haven't gone out to eat at a sit-down restaurant, or a theater, or done anything in public in months. We didn't even go to the beach this summer!"

The woman couldn't help the irritable tone that crept into her voice, her free hand gesturing out towards the direction of the beach not more than a twenty-minute drive away. Her boyfriend maintained his composure, sighing through his nose, "Honey, you know I'm a home-body, and a lot of those things cost money that I'm saving for hobbies and future plans. Plus, I grew up here, so I've seen that beach ten thousand times! I'd much rather see you and only you."

The older college student brushed (Y/n) off yet again, and he purposefully pressed his hand harder against hers in her lap, moving them up and down her thigh. This time she couldn't help the way she grimaced, and she bounced in her seat, shaking free from his grasp and tucking her hands into her elbows in a show of discomfort.

"I get that, but you should know after almost three years that I like to enjoy new things every now and then, and the vast majority of the time the stuff I want doesn't cost money, or I pay my way and then some. We both have jobs for a reason, and it's okay to spend cash sometimes."

Having lost his grip on his partner's hand, (Bf/n)'s patient smile vanished, and he grasped the steering wheel tightly. His frustration was evident in the way he pressed the gas harder, going past the speed limit and beginning to weave in and out of traffic. (Y/n) was used to his pouting when he couldn't hold her hand or get his way entirely, but the jumping vehicle still made her stomach squirm with anxiety: "L-look, love, let's meet in the middle: I'll treat you to an Italian dinner at this new cafe, and afterwards we can have a nice night in. I can even stay later than I normally do on a school night... I just really want to do something nice with you."

She stared at him with pleading (e/c) eyes, hoping that he would understand and acquiesce; eventually he did, his practiced and charismatic smile crinkling the corners of his eyes as he glanced back to her.