Prologue

As I opened the furnace, the warm and inviting smell of fresh bread wafted into the room, filling it with a pleasant aroma. I gently took out the bread from the oven and carefully placed it on the kitchen table. The bread was still warm, and the heat radiating from it was comforting. As I removed my gloves and put them on the kitchen counter, I sighed, feeling the relief of the warmth after being outside in the rain.

Looking outside, I saw that it was pouring heavily. The sound of the rain hitting the roof and windows was thunderous, making it difficult to hear anything else. My mother entered the room, holding a few pieces of bread in her hand, and made her way towards me. "Eva, can you feed the pigs with these pieces of bread? I can't find either of your brothers to do it," she sighed, taking out the dough from the cabinet and rolling it.

Taking the bread from her, I carried it outside, standing at the end of the porch to avoid getting wet from the harsh rain. The pig pen was adjacent to our house, making it easy for me to feed them. I tossed the bread pieces one by one to the pigs, who were eagerly waiting for their meal.

As I looked around, I saw a girl who appeared to be my age staring right back at me. She had a ragged appearance and looked like she hadn't eaten in days. I froze as her eyes darted to the bread and then at me, and I realized that she was hungry. I looked inside my home, seeing my mother still rolling up the dough, and then I looked back at her. The heavy rain was pouring on me, but I covered the bread to prevent it from getting wet.

She looked startled, to say the least, but she didn't move. I stopped right in front of her, and my soaked clothes clung to my body, making me shiver. The rain was relentless, and the cold water felt like it was piercing my skin. "I- uh ..." I stuttered, not knowing what to say as the girl just stared at me with wide eyes. I sat right next to her, not minding the muddy ground that had formed due to the rain.

She shivered in place as the rain continued to pour. It was cold and unrelenting, making it difficult to stay warm and dry. "Here," I whispered, taking her hand and placing the bread on her palm. "I thought you might be hungry," I murmured, fiddling with the rim of my apron. "Thank you, what's your name?" she asked, storing the bread under her jacket.

"Eva Mellark, and yours?" I asked in return. "Katniss Everdeen," she said, holding out her hand for me to shake. I took her hand with a smile. "It's nice to meet you, Katniss," I said warmly. She giggled, and her smile was infectious. "It's nice to meet you too," she replied.

------------------------------------------------------------

A/n:
just if anyone might be confused in the future chapters. The obsession or yandere tendencies would start when you reaped for the Hunger Games. which may or may not be triggered even more by a certain course of events.

If you have any questions please let me know and I will gladly answer them to the best of my abilities.

Thank you and, I hope that you will enjoy this book as much as I enjoy writing it.

Chapter published: July 5, 2023

Word count: 596