chapter 1

Hey Peeta you want anything while I'm gone? " I opened the door waiting for his answer. He looked up from his food on the tabletop "Not really " he muttered eating a piece of pork. I sighed before smuggling a loaf of bread and closing the door behind me.

I put the loaf of bread on my satchel that carried everything I needed for the day. I began to walk down the road knowing where Katniss would be at this time of day.

She is always hunting for anything she can find in that forest. I told her yesterday that I'd be busy tomorrow, and she was sad that I wouldn't come hunting with her. I just wanted to surprise her by giving her the loaf of bread I baked this morning.

When I finally saw the fence I went through it jogging towards the forest near our district. I went under a few branches before getting up trying to spot where she was.

I felt a hand on my shoulder which I grabbed dragging the person to the ground. My eyes widened realizing who it was "Sorry Gale, I didn't know it was you  " I awkwardly chuckled helping him get up.

He groaned rubbing the shoulder that he landed on . " for a lady,  you strong " his voice was horsed before he coughed walking away leaving me in shock. " what does that mean !??!?! " I said in a high-pitched tone offended.

He chuckled before he stopped abruptly making me collide onto his back . " what the fuck was that for ?!?!!" I whispered and yelled before his hand covered my mouth muffling the curses I threw at him.

He pointed in front of us making me stop. I saw Katniss pointing her bow and arrow at a deer. A grin spread on his face knowing what he was going to do. I covered his mouth muffling what he was going to say which Katniss didn't even hear at all. 

She shot hitting the deer right in the eye as I silently congratulated her before I got shoved to the side . " good shot " Gale spoke startling her and looking at him. " Damit Gale " She yelled as I took the opportunity swiping my leg and tumbling Gale to the ground . " katniss! " I got up hugging her tightly.

" Eva! I thought you were busy today ?" She chuckled hugging me back. " I just wanted to surprise you with this " I let go of the hug taking out the loaf of bread but it was squished.  " damn you Gale, you squashed my gift!" I sent a glare at him which he returned with a grin on his face.

" I don't care as long as it's from you," Katniss said kissing my forehead as a smile spread across my face. She took it taking a bite before her eyes widened at the taste . " this is so good, thank you, Eva!" She hugged me again while Gale groaned kicking the dirt below his feet.

Gale glared at me in which I just stuck out my tongue knowing I had won again. " Well, my beautiful Katniss why don't we go see that deer you shot, yeah ?" I giggled dragging Gale with me.

What I didn't notice was that KKatniss'sface was red as a tomato when I said that she was beautiful. " yeah " she muttered before following right behind us.

I kneeled looking at where the deer was shot and indeed it was right in the center of the eye . " wow katniss, after all of this I still wouldn't stop being impressed by your shooting " I got up patting away the dirt on my knees.

" so, who are you going to sell it to ?" Gale asked looking at Katniss who took out the arrow ." I don't know . Maybe I'm going to keep some for myself and, the rest I'll sell either to the peacemakers or the Hob " she answered putting the arrow back in its place.

" and how are you going to carry it back though? " I asked trying to determine how much it weighed. " Well um, maybe you can help me carry it back ?" She questions.

" Hey, what about me !?!?!" Gale said offended that he didn't get asked for help. " I'm the better woman for the job, unlike you ." I chuckled giving a thumbs up to Katniss which she did back trying to hold back a laugh.

"Are you saying I'm a woman!" He put a hand on his chest not believing what he was hearing . " if the shoe fits " Katniss said laughing at his reaction.

" damn ok, I know when I'm not wanted here" he faked and cried walking away from us, probably heading back to the district.

A few minutes passed and our laughter died down. All of a sudden a capitol's helicopter started to go above us while I dragged Katniss down with me waiting for it to pass by. When it was gone we stayed there for a moment finally realizing that they were here to reap the people from the district.

I sighed looking at Katniss who had the same idea "We have to go back " I said before getting up and looking at the deer next to us . " yeah " she muttered helping me carry the deer to her house.

When we finally got there katniss kicked the door for it to open as we waddled to the kitchen table surprising the ones inside. We set it down leaving a stunned mother and daughter who looked at us with disbelief.

" Well, I got to go, bye katniss ." I hugged her and she returned before I let go kissing her cheek and leaving her in shock. " Bye everyone " I finally said exiting their house before I made my way to mine.

Our houses were close to each other so it didn't take long for me to reach it. I got in seeing my mother already waiting for me. She grabbed my wrist in a harsh grip dragging me to the bathroom She pushed me inside before slamming the door shut.

I sighed before seeing what I was wearing. A white long-sleeved T-shirt along with a skirt that goes mid-thigh. I scrunched my face in disgust at how short that skirt would look on me. I shivered at the thought before I took a shower.

Fast forward I looked at myself in the mirror not wanting to do this. I got a knock on my door followed by my mom coming into my room " It's time, come on " she said before leaving my room to go tell my other brothers.

I sighed looking at the mirror one final time before heading to where the reaping would take place.

Our houses were close to each other so it didn't take long for me to reach it. I got in seeing my mother already waiting for me. She grabbed my wrist in a harsh grip dragging me to the bathroom She pushed me inside before slamming the door shut.

I sighed before seeing what I was wearing. A white long-sleeved T-shirt along with a skirt that goes mid-thigh. I scrunched my face in disgust at how short that skirt would look on me. I shivered at the thought before I took a shower.

Fast forward I looked at myself in the mirror not wanting to do this. I got a knock on my door followed by my mom coming into my room " It's time, come on " she said before leaving my room to go tell my other brothers.

I sighed looking at the mirror one final time before heading to where the reaping would take place.

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter published: July 7, 2023

Word count: 1, 281