1.8

December 18th, 1939

☆☆☆☆☆

It's almost Christmastime now. That means, in 4 days, I get to go home for 2 weeks. Or so I thought until Tom Riddle asked me if I'd go home with him for Christmas for the first week. So, I send my mom a letter.

About a day after I send the letter, 3 days away from Christmas break, I receive a response from my mother.

"y/n, darling, of course you can! But, whenever you get home for the remaining week, I want to know all about this friend of yours! She seems amazing. We all love you and cannot wait to see you. Have fun!"

Yes, I know. She said "she" and "friend." Instead of telling my mom I was going to my fake boyfriend's house to deceive his aunt and uncle, I told her I was going to Deirdre's to meet her parents. I never lie to my mother, so it made me very uncomfortable to send her that first letter. I feel terribly awful, but what's worse? Being dead or lying to my mother?

Me and Deirdre spend the day before Christmas break packing to go home. I only pack the necessities so I can actually fit everything into my suitcase while Deirdre practically packs everything she owns even though she's going to be back here in a couple weeks.

"Finally packed!" Deirdre huffs, out of breath and sweaty because of how much she was struggling to get her bag to zip.

I laugh. "Good for you. I've been packed for," I check my invisible watch, "About 15 minutes, now. You do know that you're not going to be gone for long, right? It's only a couple weeks."

"I know, but it takes a lot of effort to look this good." She flips her long brown hair, looking quite happy with herself.

"Not really. You look beautiful all the time." I smile. There is nothing better than making friends feel good about themselves.

She pauses and smiles, leaping onto me, giving me a bone crushing hug. "I love you, y/n."

"I love you too, Deirdre!" I hug her back twice as hard. I don't think either of us can breathe, but this moment is better than air.

The next morning, I'm up before the sun, getting dressed to leave, hoping to look my best for when I see Tom's aunt and uncle. Even though we're not actually boyfriend and girlfriend, his aunt and uncle don't know that, so I have to make a good impression!

Soon after I'm finished getting ready and the sky starts getting brighter, Deirdre wakes up and gets ready. She doesn't spend as much time as I did, since she's just going to see her parents and not someone else's guardians, but she still looks at amazing as always. I'm seriously jealous of her sometimes.

Deirdre and I get on the train, going to an empty room and sitting down, shutting the door. Until someone knocks on it. I open the door and see a large figure standing in the doorway. Rubeus Hagrid!

I jump forward and hug Rubeus and he hugs me back.

"Rubeus, I haven't seen you in forever! It sucks that we're in different houses," I complain, moving out of the way so Rubeus can sit across from me and Deirdre.

"Have we met?" He motions to Deirdre.

"No, I don't believe we have," Deirdre puts her hand out for him to shake. "My name is Deirdre Shannon, first year, Slytherin."

Rubeus shakes her hand. "Rubeus Hagrid, first year Gryffindor! Ya know, you're very pretty." Rubeus smiles at her.

If I didn't know any better, I would've thought she just blushed. Deirdre giggles. "Why, thank you, Rubeus."

I hear another knock at our room door, so I get up to open it while Deirdre and Rubeus flirt.

"Myrtle!" I shout when I open the door. "Gosh, I've missed you." I hug her. "Oh, Rubeus is here, too! Sit, sit," I usher her to the seat next to Rubeus.

Deirdre stops flirting with Rubeus to extend a hand towards Myrtle. "Deirdre Shannon, first year, Slytherin," she introduces herself to Myrtle with the same greeting she gave to Rubeus.

Myrtle hesitantly shakes her hand, clearly intimidated. I don't blame her, I would be too. "M-Myrtle Warren, first year, R-Ravenclaw," Myrtle stutters out her introduction.

"Lovely to meet you, Myrtle," Deirdre smiles. I rarely ever see her this formal. She must like these two.

Here's the thing with Deirdre: She's crazy. She only formal with the people she likes until she gets to know them and then she goes psycho. She's formal at first because she wants to make a good first impression and then goes absolutely wild once she gets to know them because she starts getting comfortable. It's a fun transformation to witness. The only reason she wasn't very formal with me at first is because I am also crazy. I do the same thing. We both realized we do the same thing almost immediately. It was like we just clicked the moment we saw each other. We were already comfortable with each other. Like platonic love at first sight.

Myrtle's unease slightly lightens up at Deirdre's kind smile. "It's nice to meet you, too." Myrtle smiles back.

"We're all going to be the bestest of friends." Deirdre's smile practically lights up the room.

"Definitely," we all agree.

☆☆☆☆☆

Don't we just love platonic soul mates? Best friend group ever. Anyways! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and have a good day/night/evening. I love you!

Word count: 935