₁₂

On dragon back, Vaemyra rides across the sea to Driftmark. She rides the Dire Shadow whilst the Snow Beast trails not too far behind. She rides with her two dragons that have nearly outgrown their confinements within the pit in King's Landing. Vaemyra rides in tears as she still mourns the loss of her love, and as she mourns... her dragons feel her pain.

The princesses are reunited after barely a few days of being apart, but the circumstances are far from ideal. Both of their lovers are dead, and instead of Rhaenyra being at the funeral for hers, she must be at the funeral for Vaemyra's, for mourning the loss of Ser Harwin would only raise suspicion.

And within the short time, they've been apart... Otto Hightower has been reinstated as Hand of the King.

"Īlon join tubī rȳ se seat hen embar naejot commit se riña laena hen lentor velaryon naejot se eternal waters, se dominion hen merling dārys skoriot kessa guard zirȳla syt mirre tubissa naejot māzigon. Ziry sets ezīmagon se embar syt zirȳla mōrī voyage, se riña laena tēmbi lanta true-born daughters va se rāenion. Though pōja muña kessa daor return hen zirȳla voyage, kessi mirre umbagon bound hēnkirī isse ānogar. Lopor courses rȳ velaryon ānogar. Īlvon dakogon qumblie. Īlvon dakogon drēje. Se īlvon ēdruta dōrī vasrie."

Daemon can't help but chuckle at the words of Vaemond Velaryon, who seems very keen on insisting that Jace and Luke do not have salt coursing through their veins, and thus are not true Velaryon blood. He draws the attention to himself and creates a disrespectful scene at his wife's funeral. All but Vaemyra seem to care. Her eyes have been locked on the wooden coffin ever since the funeral began, and everything else just fades away.

The ropes on Laena's coffin are pulled as Vaemond continues to speak over it, throwing sand over the wood as it makes its way closer and closer to the edge of the rock... until it falls into the shores down below.

Both Laenor and Vaemyra feel the true burn of Laena's death. To Vaemyra, she lost what could have been her true love. But to Laenor... he lost a sister.

The funeral processions move on to the large balcony that houses all of the patrons, allowing all those to mourn together. Instead of mingling or sharing her trauma with others, Vaemyra sits by herself, back against the rock and eyes facing the sea. The sea where her Laena now lay. She sits by herself on a bench with no one by her side, and ignores the servants going around with wine just waiting to be poured. She ignores every fiber of her being that tells her to take a sip of the delicious grape nectar. She can't drink, she can't bring herself to do it. Something in her mind or body tells her not to, perhaps as a way to prevent her from falling down the slippery slope and drowning her sorrows in wine yet again.

Vaemyra ignores the dramatic glances exchanged between Rhaenyra and Daemon, Rhaenyra and Alicent, Rhaenyra, and Jace, and so on. She ignores the drama and truly wishes to take no part in it. She'd rather be anywhere but here. Being around all these people makes her skin crawl. She'd much rather be with her children, for only they would be able to comfort her.

Rhaenyra sees the discomfort and torment of her sister but still has to maintain appearances. She has her child go comfort Baela and Rhaena, whilst Aemond stares at his sister, mind toiling over whether or not he should go over.

But the little prince puts his best foot forward and approaches the princess, whose eyes appear glazed over and out of focus.

" Vaemyra," Aemond starts with a little nod, doing his absolute best to keep calm and breathe, " I-I would like to offer my support... may I sit?"

" No," Vaemyra utters as she keeps her eyes locked on the sea.

Aemond's brows are furrowed. He's not used to such a short and straight-to-the-point response, but in Vaemyra's mind, no is absolutely a complete sentence.