Omegaverse 101

Before we start, let's have common knowledge about how an Omegaverse AU works.

Omegaverse, also known as A/B/O (an abbreviation for "alpha/beta/omega"), is a subgenre of speculative erotic fiction, and originally a subgenre of erotic slash fan fiction. Its premise is that a dominance hierarchy exists in humans, which are divided into dominant "alphas", neutral "betas", and submissive "omegas".

Omegas are the lowest in this fictional hierarchy, and can be impregnated regardless of gender. The genre often crosses over with internet subculture "MPREG" which revolves around male characters getting pregnant. They ran into cycles called Heat wherein they are vulnerable and have a higher chance of being impregnated if engaged in sexual intercourse. A heat is the time when the Omega is most fertile and ready to mate. Some choose to have partners to help during their heats; others hide in their nests without a mate until their heat is over or take suppressants which is mainly a medication to help them minimize the effect of heat.

Betas are characterized by having both types of instincts, although their instincts are weaker than Alphas and Omegas. Having and understanding the instincts of all secondary genders makes Betas powerful and somewhat threatening.

Alpha's are the highest rank/type in the omegaverse. They are very protective of what's theirs and can be highly aggressive. Alphas have many things that differentiate them from the other types, ranging from physical characteristics, psychological attributes, and physiology. Alphas like omegas also have their own reproduction phenomenon called rut. Ruts have a similar purpose to sexual heats, to find a mate and breed. Natural ruts last 1-4 days. When: Natural ruts occur 2-3 times a year in alphas of all ages.