Forgetful Dunn

"All right." With a slight bow, Klein took off his low top hat and put it back on his head, thinking more about the seal "0-08."

A plain looking quill?

Don't need ink for writing?

So what does it really do? So much so that it is kept secret and considered "very dangerous"?

It's not a death pen, is it?

No, that would be outrageous, Ince. Zangwell doesn't have to run...

Crane just turned, about to leave, behind Dunn. Smith suddenly called out to him:

"Wait a minute, I forgot something."

'What? Kraven looked back, his eyes full of doubt.

Dunn put away his watch and smiled.

"You wait and see Mrs. Oriana, the accountant, for four weeks' advance of your salary, twelve pounds in all, and then half your salary every week until it is paid."

"It's too much. It's not necessary. It can be less." Klein said without realizing it.

He did not object to the advance, for he had not even the money for the stagecoach, but he was afraid of taking twelve pounds at a time.

"No, it's necessary." Dunn shook his head and smiled. "Do you think you'd want to stay in your apartment? Even the bathroom has to be shared with several families, the lady as well as myself, and..."

When Klein nodded his approval, he paused, looked at the other's clothes with a smile, and said:

"And you'll need a walking stick, and you'll have to buy formal clothes again."

Klein stared for a second, then realized that his face was burning because he was wearing a cheap suit.

Normally, a top hat would be made of silk and cost five or six sous, a bow-tie three sous, a silver-inlaid cane seven or eight sous, a shirt three sous, trousers, waistcoat and dovetail about seven pounds, boots nine or ten sous, which would add up to more than eight and seven pounds, and of course a decent gentleman would need a watch chain, a pocket watch, and a wallet.

The original owner and his brother Benson had saved up a sum of money, called the coat and hat shop, and left without even paying the price, and made do with a set each at the cheap shop near Iron Cross, which amounted to less than two pounds.

Because of this, the original owner was extremely impressed with the price of clothes.

"Good, good." Crane replied with a slight stutter.

He is as respectable a man as the original owner.

Dunn took out his pocket watch again, opened it, and glanced at it.

"Or do you go to Mrs. Oriana first? I don't know how long you'll stay at Old Neil's, but if you wait a little longer, Mrs. Oriana will be coming home."

"All right." Klein, feeling destitute, made no objection.

Dunn went back to the table and pulled on one of the dangling ropes:

"I'll ask Rosanne to take you."

As the ropes ran and the gears turned, Rosanne heard the tinkling of the bells hanging next to her in the Blackbriar Security Company reception hall. She got up and walked down the stairs carefully.

It wasn't long before she appeared in front of Crane.

Dunn Smith said with a humorous laugh:

"Didn't disturb your rest? Well, take Moretti to Mrs. Oreana."