ch.5 ▪︎Its different

Sodapop P.O.V

We had all turned to look at Dal. His face was reading pure shock and his eyes looked almost clouded with...anger?
Why would he be angry that just made her so much cooler I mean a drag racer- ha that just made me 5x more attracted to her. She was beautiful and sarcastic and a drag racer! I mean how does that not scream tuff and tough. Not to mention she's a Winston.

Anyway, Addison and Dallas had locked eyes and were both just staring as if the rest of us had fallen away. I mean what was the big deal? I mean drag racing here was illegal cause of us greasers betting all the time and it was kinda dangerous I guess but it was always organized by an adult. Or at least someone over 19. But still. They were so cool and so fun.

I had done a race once or twice (4 times to be exact) but on my 5th race my car got flipped and Darry banned me from doing them ever again. Especially considering the hospital bill and bail money put together was as much as our rent. So lets just say I wasn't trying to add more work for us to do. so I respected his wishes and haven't done one since I was 15.

But I mean seriously why was dallas so upset. I didn't understand what the big deal was.
Two-bits jaw was practically on the floor and Steve... well the look in his eye was hard to make out. Darry looked just as confused as I felt but I could see the speck of concern in his eyes when he looked at Addison. Ponyboy had admiration written all over his face and the look of 'awe' sparked in his eyes. Finally after a long silence dallas spoke.

"Y..you drag race?" His voice sounds like it came out smaller than he would've liked

"Yes "

"Since when?"

"Since I turned 14"

"What did dad say?"

"Nothing just that as long as I'm paying the bills he didn't care. He said and I quote 'you could be selling drugs for all I care as long as it's real money" she used a fake deep voice at the end to mimic her no good father.

"Addison I thought we had talked about this"

"Yeah. When I was 11. And I'm not sorry about it. When you left believe it or not things changed. I changed
.....I love racing and just because you don't like it doesn't mean nothin' "

Dallas was silent for a moment and his heavy breaths gave away his obvious anger.

"You can't be drag racing Addison! Its so dangerous up there. What is wrong with you?! How did you even get into that? I'm surprised your even alive."

"I can be drag racing and whatever you say won't change that. Sure it's dangerous I know it's dangerous I see it every night but I obviously don't care. And how I got into it is none of your business....and I'm so sorry it's such a surprise I survived a race. That I lasted anything without you." Her voice boomed and it was obvious she was on the edge.

"Thats not what I said! And you know it!" He yelled as he slammed his hand on the table. Everyone jumped at his outburst except Steve, Darry, and of course Addison.

"Oh really! Then why was the first thing you asked me 'what happened to you while I was gone?'
Why was it you told all your little friends you thought I was dead by now. Don't think I didn't hear you yell it yesterday.
I learned how to live without you alright! I learned to go through everything. Dad, Tony, mom, school, the money, the drugs, the violence. Everything! Because you couldn't take it and you didn't want to take me with you." She stood meeting his eyes across the table while the rest of us sat between the siblings. The siblings I think to be the most cold, cruel, and dangerous siblings in tulsa

"I know but that doesn't mean I can't take it now and that I don't want you now."

"Well it just so happens that your six years too late. You were too late the second you left me sitting there in that room."