PROLOGUE

(a/n: thank you for reading this story! This is book one in the.... Yeah I'm still trying to think of a name for the overall series. Up above you'll see Mary Kate Olsen and she plays Hazel! Happy reading, much love ~el, xxx)

____

Hazel was different. Very different. She had always been different, but more special. Special in the way of talent and personality. And she had a beautiful laugh and a beautiful smile and a sparkling personality. But only her family and closest friends could see all of those qualities. At school, Hazel didn't have any friends- at school, anyways. Sure, some people were nice and nobody bullied her, but she was always invisible to her surroundings. To the world, it felt like to her. She couldn't make friends, she couldn't be or even stay close with someone. She doesn't try because she can't. She's incapable of doing so. Hazel loves people and she wishes for nothing more than many best friends instead of one. She only opens up to her mum, her dad, her sister and her best friend Louis. She only got along with Louis because Louis had anxiety with many things, which made them similar.

Because Hazel had Autism.

Niall was known as the quiet kid in college. It was never because he didn't like to talk, he did. He loved to talk. He liked to read and tell stories and sing and laugh. But one day, those things were taken away from him. All of them. He no longer could read or tell stories or sing or laugh. Because when Niall was just a young boy, his doctor had found a tumor growing in his throat and he shortly after discovered it was cancer. Niall cried and cried because death scared him. Not existing scared him. But there was a solution. There was a solution to his problem, but he had to give up a few things. He had to give up reading and telling stories, as well as singing and laughing. Niall didn't want to give up those things because they were his favorite things. He thought he'd be better off dead if he would have to live without his favorite things. But of course, his parents told him that it'd be best to go through with the surgery to remove the tumor. Niall still loved life. There were lots of things to love, but Niall changed and he didn't like it. Niall had to give up all of his favorite things.

Because Niall was mute.