Chapter Six - Horror

After Nightmare's song, we sat in silence for a while. Not that I'm not used to being quiet, but it was awkward silence with the constant sound of healing.

But I got curious of something.

"Do you have a plan for the Stars?" I asked. He looks at me and responds, "Only one. It's a theory and I'm not even sure that I'm right. So there's a chance it might not work." More silence. I wait for him to explain. Eventually he does after a deep breath.

"We need to save them."

For once I'm taken aback to question Nightmare's decision. I can't believe my nonexistent ears. Is this even the same Nightmare?

"'Save them'? Nightmare, are you feeling okay?" "I know how it sounds," he raises his voice. "But if we choose to fight, it will never end. More of us will get hurt, and we were lucky that Killer survived. I have a feeling that fighting won't end well, and that one more of us will die again and again the longer this continues. But I also have a feeling that something happened to Blue. He was the one who turned first, but it doesn't seem right. If anyone were to turn first, it would be Ink, not the other two. I don't think he just changed. I think something took control of him, infected him, until he gave in. And Ink knew he couldn't do anything about it, so he chose to use it, and dragged Dream down along with him. But... I'm not sure what thing got a hold of Blue. We would have to investigate Underswap in order to know where to start in saving them."

A beat of silence, as I turn my focus back to Killer in understanding. I ask, "What if we find nothing in Underswap?" He says nothing for a moment, until, "We can't just give up if we fail to figure it out. If anything, we'd go down swinging."

My soul is filled with worry. Nightmare is sure we're going to die if he doesn't find out what happened to Blue. I've never seen him lose his confidence before. His cocky, manipulative nature has disappeared. It's like I'm looking at a different Nightmare. The only thing I can see that he hasn't lost is his pride, hence choosing not to kneel if we fail. "Go down swinging" as he said.

Finally, the cracks in Killer's skull are starting to mend. I focus harder on the healing energy.

Once it's done, I pull my hand away sighing of relief. Nightmare stares at Killer expectantly.

After a few breaths, Killer blinks his eyes open with an uncomfortable look on his face. He sits up, putting a hand on top of his skull.

"Ugh," he groans. "What happened?" He looks around and notices me and Nightmare. "Oh god," he says, cringing hard. "I almost died, didn't I?" "Dream was crushing your skull," Nightmare told him. "Blue was making sure no one could help you. There wasn't anything that could've been done." "Then... How did I survive?" Nightmare looked away, saying, "I was able to occupy Ink and teleport to Dream for a surprise attack." Killer's expression goes soft as he looks away as well.

The awkwardness between these two...

"What's your plan?" Killer asks him.

Instead of answering, Nightmare goes to the door, and tells the other two to come in. Once Dust and Error are inside, Nightmare announces his plans.

"It makes sense," Error is the first to speak. "I wasn't sure about Blue either. Something must've happened." Dust raises a good question, "But what will happen to him once he's saved, and he realizes that he murdered his own brother?" No one says a word. Dust finishes, "No matter what happens, Blue will never be the same."