Part 2: Chapter 36

"You've had enough sleep, today's your 'Kamu' and the groom's family will be here soon," Zaynab announced, striding over to Islam's bed, her silky pink peignoir enhancing her light skin. She exuded grace and angelic charm that morning - and always.

"I need an hour, Mama. I couldn't sleep at night," Islam protested, shielding her eyes from the blinding light as she turned over, burying her face in the soft pillow.

"Are you crazy? Get up and prepare for your Kamu. There will also be 'kunshi'," Zaynab insisted, playfully hitting her with a pillow. "Stop acting like a child, Islam."

Islam finally relented to her mother's persistent urging, sitting up on the bed with her legs crossed.

"You look like a..."

"A damsel in distress," Islam interjected with a yawn.

"An ugly witch," Zaynab playfully teased, causing Islam to recoil.

"Mama, what do you think will happen when you call your daughter an ugly witch on the day of her Kamu," she exclaimed.

Zaynab settled on the edge of the bed, gently patting her lap, "Today's your Kamu, and by Tuesday, we'll marry you off. I want you to embody the cheerful and resilient woman that you are. No matter what, you'll always be my ray of sunshine and my special girl."

"I love you, Mama. I don't want to go," she said with a pout, then sweetly hugged Zaynab tightly.

"If you love me enough, then do the right thing and get ready. Our folks are downstairs waiting for you, and in less than an hour, the groom's family will also be here," Zaynab pointed out.

"Okay, Mama, I'll be a good girl and get ready," she said meekly as Zaynab added, "By the way, the makeup artist is waiting for you, and Firdausi will also come to help. Some of your white friends are here."

She started to speak but stopped as Zaynab exited the room, slamming the door behind her. She then made her way to the vanity, standing there and gazing at her reflection. Her eyes showed the effects of a restless night. The thought of Ali being the Nagogo's illegitimate child lingered in her mind.

"Everyone has a secret," she murmured, studying her eyes intently. Those innocent eyes held love and trust. "What's my secret?" she pondered, lost in thought.

"Forget about it, Islam. Today's your Kamu, and that's why you have to think big," she muttered to herself before grabbing her towel and rushing to the toilet for a shower.

Firdausi entered, draped in a stylish baby pink laffaya that enhanced her glowing skin and perfectly gelled hair under the veil. Her long, mascaraed eyelashes added a touch of elegance, gently brushing her cheeks adorned with pink blush. She exuded grace, standing tall with a feminine and elegant air.

"If there was a beauty goddess, you'd fit the bill, dear sister," complimented Islam.

"Stop flattering me, our soon-to-be Mrs.," teased Firdausi, holding the incense burner, releasing a fragrant blend of sandalwood and coconut-scented smoke into the room.

"Could you help me because I don't know how to get ready," Islam asked as Tessie entered with the makeup artist.

Taslim was meticulously dressed in a forget-me-not laffaya, sporting long artificial eyelashes and vibrant red lipstick. Her high black heels added to her height, though Firdausi still stood taller.