11

Miranda walked down the aisles of the crowded grocery store, her gaze fixed on the top shelf. She had been searching for her favorite pasta sauce brand but was struggling to reach it. Standing on her tiptoes once again, she tried to push it a little bit forward with the tip of her fingers.

Ben walked down the aisles, looking for avocado oil. He looked at the short, thick woman standing on her tiptoes, reaching for a jar. He knew it was Miranda just from the side of her.

Miranda pushed up on her toes again and grabbed the second shelf for support. Just as she was about to give up and just go with another brand, a deep voice cut through her frustration.

"Hey, do you need a hand?'

Miranda not bothering to even face whoever it was nodded her head.

Without hesitation, Ben reached up and effortlessly retrieved the desired item from the top shelf.

She wanted to roll her eyes at how easy it was for him, but then she looked up at his face. Miranda turned to see Ben standing beside her, a warm smile on his face.

"Here you go." Ben said, handing her the jar, their fingers briefly touching, sending a jolt of electricity through both of them.

"Thanks for that." Miranda said sincerely before looking down at her tingling hand.

"You're welcome." He smiled lightly.

"You're Dr. Ben Warren, right?"

"Yes." Ben answered, nodding his head. His heart was pounding in his chest. He did everything to avoid this woman at work, and now they were talking in the store.

"I'm Dr." She started.

"Miranda Bailey."

"Yeah. You came into the room and helped me a few months back. I just wanted to say thank you again."

"It's no problem, really."

Miranda nodded before biting her lip. "I also wanted to apologize for raising my voice. I didn't mean to. I was just."

"Dr. Bailey, you don't have any--

"Miranda. You can call me Miranda outside of work."

"All right, Miranda. You don't have to apologize. You reacted how anybody in your situation would have."

"Ok... uh, thanks again." Miranda stumbled suddenly nervous. She could hear Callie's voice ringing in her head. He liked you and was going to ask you out.

"Hey Uh, how's your health after everything. I know it's a personal question, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"I'm great. Shepherd cleared me for surgery a month ago. Do you still work there?"

"I do---"

"I don't see you." Miranda responded "around the hospital." She added, clarifying.

"I had taken off for a while, but I've been back for a little bit." Ben explained.

"Oh, ok."

Miranda looked into his basket and noticed the ingredients. He was making firecracker salmon. Judging by the items he had, it was her recipe. He knew her recipe. God, who was this man to her. Callie said that he was a friend, but she didn't believe that. She did not make friends easily.

"You're missing fresh ginger." She pointed out.

Ben looked down at the basket, and she could tell that he was mentally checking. "I knew I was missing something, thanks."

"You're welcome... I hope it turns out good."

"Me too. I have the steps memorized, so hopefully."

"Alright... I guess I'll see you around." Miranda said softly. She wanted to say more, but she honestly didn't know what to say to this man. He smelled and looked so damn good.