Chapter 35: Back on the road (Ronnie)

Austin had just walked out of the garage when I sighed to my self. I finished filling the trunk with gas tanks. Honestly there were only 12-13 cans of gas in there. I hope to god we can find a working gas station or we'll be stranded somewhere.

I walked back into the house to only see Dre. He was in the kitchen making a sandwich.

"Hey Dre. What are you up too?" He looked up at me and nodded at me.

"Not much. Just trying to eat." I sat on the barstool and studied him for a minute.

"So, what's your deal man? How do you know Austin?" He grabbed a couple beers out of the fridge and set one down in front of me. He leaned his back again the counter top across from the island I was currently sitting at.

"I was his manager." His answer was short and sweet, not giving me much to go off of.

"I know he was a musician, but what genre was he in?" I just wanted to have a conversation with the man but he was giving me Jack shit.

"Pop"

"Look man, I just want to get to know you a little better since your gonna be traveling across the country with us. I need to know if I can trust you to have my back in a fight."

"Fine. All you need to know is that I was trained to fight by hydra."

"That makes you less trustworthy if anything. Why would I trust the very organization that started this whole apocalypse? So the fact that they taught you how to throw a punch means absolutely nothing to me." He had finished his first beer and grabbed another.

"I don't give a fuck if you think you can trust me or not. Nothing in this world can change the fact that I will never trust YOU. I only trust Austin. And Austin will be the only back I have in a fight." He grabs the beer that I hadn't touched and storms out of the room. He walked past Austin who was coming back into the kitchen.

"What happened?" He points back at Dre who had slammed a door.

"I was just trying to get to know him a little better since she's coming with us to Michigan. Apparently he 'Austin will be the only back he has in a fight'" Austin moved to the exact spot Dre was standing in moment ago.

"That doesn't sound like Dre at all. He used to be super nice and kind to everyone. Hydra had to have changed him for the worst."

"Speaking of hydra, when I asked him if he knew how how to fight all he said was Hydra taught him. All of his answers were very short and very sassy. Like he didn't even want to be in my presence at all. I didn't even do anything to warrant that from him."

"I'll go talk to him. Thank you for at least trying to get to know him Ronnie. I haven't talked to him a lot since he got back but I can tell Hydra damaged him. Badly" Austin walked out, going the same direction as Dre did before. I was now all alone in the kitchen. I could faintly hear Y/n in our room talking to Willow. I knew Dre and Austin were talking. I looked out the window to see the sun start to set.

Letting out another sigh from stress, I grab a couple beers. I make my way through the house and into our room. The door was partially open and I could hear Y/n and Willow talking clearly now.

"Why are we going to Michigan anyways?"

"Because there is something there that will help your dad with a problem he's having right now." Y/n was talking in the same voice she used when we first found Willow. It absolutely warmed my heart to hear how well she treats kids despite what happened to her.

I opened the door and walked in. Y/n must have seen the exhaustion on my face because she scooted over and patted the bed. I gladly laid down on my stomach next to her. I felt her rubbing my back. My muscles immediately relaxed and I could finally feel how tense I actually was.

"Welp I'm gonna go to bed. Night Y/n. Love you dad" I could barely hear Willow as she left. I could feel sleep wash over me.

——————————————————————

I felt Y/n shift next to me. Somehow, I had ended up under a blanket. Y/n's head was on my chest. Her light breathing was moving a piece of hair that had moved in front of her face. I looked out the window at the brightening sky. I carefully remove myself from the bed and grab our bags so when everyone wakes up we can immediately leave.

After putting our bags in the car, I decided to make breakfast for everyone. Bacon and eggs sounded good. I start cooking when I heard a noise behind me.

"Hey Ronnie. I, um, I wanted to apologize for the way I acted yesterday. It was childish and immature of me." Dre was fiddling with his hands.

"It's alright man. I wasn't thinking about how badly of a place you were in mentally."
I went back to cooking. One by one, everyone else made their way into the kitchen.

Time skip

"Dre, Willow, and I will sit in back. You and Y/n can have the front for now." Austin shouted out the the group while walking over to a key rack on the wall and grabbed a key.

Everyone loaded up and I started the car. Pulling out of the garage, I start down the long driveway. Austin had spent all day making sure there weren't any breaches in the fence around his house. He made sure his house couldn't be reached by the undead.

Our journey begins, and we're on the road once more.