THE SATAN PIT

"Open fire!"

Jefferson and the guard fire at the Ood, while I cower.

"We're stable. We've got orbit."

I step over the dead bodies of the Ood and grab the communication device once more, trying to see if the Doctor is okay.

"Doctor?"
There is static, no reply.

"Doctor, can you hear me? Doctor? Ida? Are you there?"

The computer announces the door opening.

Jefferson and the guard spin around, guns raised and ready for whatever will come through the door, but it's only Danny.

"It's me! But they're coming. It's the Ood. They've gone mad."
"How many of them?"
"All of them! All fifty!"
Jefferson approaches the door, "Dann,y, out of the way." Dany doesn't move so he speaks with more ferocity, "Out of the way!"

He pushes Danny out of the way of the door.

"Nut they're armed! They're da..."
Jefferson starts to open the door.

"It's the interface device. I don't know how. But they're using it as a weapon."

Jefferson opens the door, the Ood are standing on the other side. One of them immediately advances, sticking the communication orb to the guard's forehead. She screams and slumps to the floor, dead. Jefferson opens fire.

"Jefferson, what's happening there?"

"I've got very little ammunition, sir. How about you?"

"All I've got is a bolt gun. With uh... all of one bolt. I could take out a total of one Ood. Fat lot of good that is."
"Given the emergency... I recommend Strategy Nine."
"Strategy Nine agreed. Right, we need to get everyone together. Abby? What about Ida and the Doctor? Any word?"

I shake my head, "I can't get any reply, just... nothing, I keep trying, but it's..."

The communication device crackles and the Doctor's voice comes through, "No! Sorry, I'm fine. Still here!"

I almost cry in relief, "Oh, thank you for responding."

"You're welcome." I can hear his smile, "Anyway, it's both of us, me and Ida. but the seal opened up. It's gone. All we've got left is this chasm."
"How deep is it?"
"Can't tell. It looks like it goes on forever."
"'The pit is open.' That's what the voice said."

"But there's nothing? I mean... there's... nothing coming out?"
"No, no. no sign of 'the beast.'"

"Ida? I recommend that you withdraw. Immediately."
"But... we've come all this way!"

"Okay, that was an order. Withdraw. With that thing open, the whole planet shifted. One more inch and we fall into the black hole. So this thing stops now."

"But it's not much better up there with the Ood."
"I'm initiating Strategy Nine, so I need the two of you back up top immediately, no ar..."

There's static.

"Abby, we're coming back."

I smile, "The best news I've heard all day!"
Jefferson releases the safety catch on his gun. He's looking down at Toby.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"He's infected. He brought that thing on board. You saw it."
Toby's eyes widen in shock. He's cornered, cowering on the floor.

I walk towards him, "Are you gonna start shooting your people, now? Is that what you're gonna do? Is it?"

"If necessary."