Sunshine

Charlotte's POV:

"Are you okay?" This mouse asked. "No, I'm not... I lost my mom, my siblings... I have no idea where I am... I just want to be safe from humans..."
The other mouse looked at me concerned "Well unfortunately no mouse is safe here, many mice here are usually taken to be tortured in animal tests or eaten by snakes. I'm lucky I've never been chosen".
My worst fears come true, all the stuff mother warned us about. I knew it, I was gonna die.
I started crying "Hey hey it's okay.. I'll make sure you never get chosen" the other mouse said. "By the way, my name's Sunshine". "I'm Charlotte" I hugged Sunshine.

I always stayed close to Sunshine every day, she taught me how to stay in the far corners of the cage or under the mouse piles everytime we all go to snuggle and sleep. It kept me from getting grabbed by the hands of humans for a long time.
Sunshine was my protector, my best friend. I don't know what I would do without her.

On days when I wasn't being grabbed at by humans, me and Sunshine played together, we made up games, played Hide-and-seek, hid food from each other, even wrestled playfully. At night we'd snuggle together and sleep. Sometimes we'd even strike up conversations with the other mice to keep ourselves entertained. I learned of other creatures that were imprisoned in the same place we were in, I looked to the side of my cage one day and discovered like twelve cages filled to the brim with water. Inside of them were creatures called fish and snails, the fish floated and swam in the water never touching the ground, the snails slid across the walls and ground of the tanks.

I learned from Sunshine that there were many other creatures imprisoned only to be used by humans besides fish and snails. There were turtles, birds, crabs, hamsters, guinea pigs, lizards that didn't eat mice, and those evil snakes. Some of the prisoners didn't have as much as we did, they didn't have friends or many toys, I even discovered not even all the fish are held in large water cages, certain fish called Bettas are trapped in tiny containers used to hold human food.

One day I sat with Sunshine watching other animals get snatched up by humans "Hey Sun, you think maybe one day.. we'll go somewhere better than here?" I asked. "I wish, but humans don't care about what's better for us" she replied.
I sat back thinking and thinking. What if we got taken one day and it turns out to be a good thing? But then again, I never heard of a mouse with a happy ending...