Forty One

Daryl is visibly pissed off when we get to where the whisperer that Aaron has been speaking to, told us the horde was. It obviously isn't here so we're all irritated as we wait for someone to figure out what to do. Daryl announces that we should just head back and regroup so we start heading back the way we came. As we get to the field about halfway back home, I notice Carol stop dead in her tracks as she stares out past the field, I follow her gaze and notice Alpha is standing there, staring back at her. I could tell by Alpha's stance that she was ready to run, I took this to mean that this was a trap but before I could warn anyone, Carol started sprinting across the field toward her. I followed as fast as I could but she had too many yard on me by that point so I couldn't catch up. Daryl catches up to me once I slow down in front of what looks like a dark cave entrance, "Carol? Magna?" I wait a few seconds with no response, "Anyone?!" Daryl stood beside me, we waited a second for a response but was met with silence, he nodded for me to follow him into the darkness so I grabbed his hand tightly and stayed close behind him. Neither of us made a single sound, I couldn't even tell if he was breathing or not, we both ended up screaming when the ground fell out from under us.

I stood up once I processed that I was on the floor of a dark cave, "Daryl?" I whispered harshly, I felt a hand grab mine and someone lit a match beside us. Carol was holding my hand as we looked toward the loud groaning and moaning sounds across from us. I was stunned when I saw it was a herd of walkers low enough below us that they couldn't climb but high enough that if we stepped by the edge, they could easily drag one of us in with them. I look around quickly for a way out but I'm not able to find anything, I sigh and look to Carol, who's looking up toward a faint fire glow, I'm able to see Alpha standing way above us on what looks like a pathway with a smirk on her face. Carol drops my hand and screams in frustration before Alpha is out of view and Carol is breathing heavily. I grab the extra flashlight from Magna's bag and look around, Aaron points to the area across the herd from us, "There! If we're careful, we can hop the rocks across." We all nod and before anyone has time to think of another way, Daryl jumps across. I stay behind and watch as the others start going after him, I fight back a panic attack, Jerry notices and puts his hands on my shoulders, "Don't worry, I got you." I exhale sharply and nod quickly, I notice it's just Aaron and I left after Jerry jumps. Jerry waits for me to be on the rock behind him each time before going forward, I'm extremely nervous about falling but I manage to make my way across to Daryl, "You okay?" He asks as he catches me and pushes me toward the wall. I nod, "Yeah." We wait for Aaron before Daryl leads us through a crack in the wall, we follow him further into the cave.

Daryl asks us to stay behind while he goes ahead by himself for a moment. I glance at Carol and notice she's hyperventilating, I sigh as I look around and realize what's happening to her as the walls start closing in around me. Daryl finally comes back and leads us to an area with a low hanging ceiling with rock spikes all along it, I quickly sit down by the wall and close my eyes, trying not to think about the cramped space around us. Daryl notices and made sure everyone was doing alright before he sat down beside me, "You good?" I nod, "Yeah, it's just-" I motion around the room, "It's kind of cramped in here." He sighs, "I know, I'll get you out of here, it'll be alright. Carol has the same problem, just try to stay strong for her because she'll freak out if you freak out and I know you can control yourself better than she can." I smirk, "I'm sure she'd love to hear you say that." He shook his head and started looking through his bag before handing me a canteen, "Drink some water and chill out for a minute."

Magna approaches Daryl asking him for his matches, she looks uneasy and he tries to get her to stay with us and chill out but she won't budge, he gives her the matches and she heads out of sight. Carol sits down beside Daryl and I could tell by her demeanor that it wasn't going to be any of my business what they were about to discuss so I stood up and made my way over to Jerry, sitting down beside him. He puts an arm around my shoulders, "You alright?" I nod, "Yeah, I'm just a little claustrophobic but I'll be alright." He chuckles softly, "I figured." I glance at him, "That obvious?" He nods, "Oh yeah." I chuckle, "And here I was thinking I was playing it off like a pro." He bumped with his shoulder after taking his arm from my shoulders, "Don't worry, your secret's safe with me." I smile slightly, "Thanks."