23

A week had swiftly passed, yet for Jieun, it felt as though it were only yesterday when she and Chanyeol had first crossed paths

A week had swiftly passed, yet for Jieun, it felt as though it were only yesterday when she and Chanyeol had first crossed paths. She had been eagerly awaiting his call, remembering the promise he made to her. But as the days slipped by, the anticipated call never came. Doubts and worries clouded her mind, causing her to hesitate. Perhaps he was too busy catching up on missed practices, she reasoned, not wanting to disturb him unnecessarily.

As she glanced at her cellphone for what felt like the hundredth time, a glimmer of hope flickered across her face. A text message had arrived, but it wasn't from Chanyeol. Baekhyun's name appeared on the screen, followed by messages from Irene and Yeri, inquiring about her well-being. Jieun's heart skipped a beat, wondering why Chanyeol hadn't reached out yet.

Just as she contemplated sending him a text, a notification flashed on her screen. It was from Chanyeol, finally reaching out after what seemed like an eternity. The message read, "If you're free this weekend, let's meet up." She noticed that he had been online just five minutes ago. Excitement surged within her as she swiftly replied, "Yes," eagerly awaiting his response.

Jieun couldn't help but let her thoughts drift to Chanyeol over and over again even though she tries to distract herself. Memories of their moments together flooded her mind, like a movie reel playing in her consciousness.

She recalled the time they spent together, the instant connection that sparked between them. The way he had always approached her with a warm smile, his eyes filled with genuine curiosity and interest. They had spent hours talking, sharing stories, and discovering common interests. Jieun cherished those moments, as they laid the foundation for the bond they had formed.

A playful smile tugged at her lips as she reminisced about their inside jokes and shared laughter. There were late-night conversations that stretched into the early hours of the morning, filled with deep discussions about life, dreams, and aspirations. In those moments, Jieun had felt a profound sense of comfort and understanding with Chanyeol, as if they were two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly together.

They had explored the city together, discovering hidden gems and enjoying the simple pleasures of life. There were walks in the park, hand in hand, as they shared stories of their childhood and dreams for the future. Jieun recalled the feeling of his hand intertwined with hers, the warmth that spread through her entire being, and the sense of belonging that washed over her.

In her mind's eye, she replayed the times they had shared meals, trying new restaurants and savouring the flavours of different cuisines. Their taste buds danced with delight as they indulged in culinary adventures, accompanied by animated conversations and shared recommendations. Jieun had always admired Chanyeol's enthusiasm for trying new things and his ability to make even the simplest meal an unforgettable experience.

There were moments of vulnerability too, when Chanyeol had opened up about his fears and insecurities, allowing Jieun to see beyond his cheerful facade. She had listened attentively, offering support and reassurance, just as he had done for her when she faced her own doubts. Their shared vulnerability had fostered a deep sense of trust between them, strengthening the bond they had formed.

A sudden flashback interrupted her thoughts, the memory of Chanyeol about to express something important but faltering mid-sentence. Jieun's mind raced, considering the girls around Chanyeol whom she had come to know, albeit not in great depth. "Could it be Yeri?" she wondered, but quickly dismissed the idea, knowing that Yeri was already in a committed relationship. Then her thoughts turned to Irene, acknowledging her undeniable beauty and single status. "Who wouldn't fall for her?" Jieun mused, a pang of sadness tugging at her heart.

As Jieun snapped back to the present, her heart ached with a mixture of longing and uncertainty. She wondered if Chanyeol's unspoken feelings were directed towards her, and if so, what had prevented him from expressing them fully. The thought of him confessing his love to another person, particularly Irene, sent a pang of jealousy through her. Although she hoped for Chanyeol's happiness, the possibility of him having feelings for Irene brought a bittersweet ache to her own heart. Yet, she reminded herself that she only wanted Chanyeol to be happy, even if it meant setting her own desires aside.

Shaking off her conflicting emotions, Jieun rose from her bed and decided to head to the supermarket to buy some noodles. Returning to her apartment, she followed her usual routine. However, as she walked along the street, someone suddenly grabbed her wrist, causing her to pause. She looked up and found her elder sister, Taeyeon, standing before her, a mix of emotions evident in her eyes—happiness, sadness, excitement, and concern. Taeyeon reached out to embrace Jieun, but she gently pushed her away, taking a step back.

Confusion etched across her face, Taeyeon asked, "What's wrong? What did I do?" Tears began to well up in her eyes as she searched for an explanation. Jieun averted her gaze, struggling to hold back her own tears. "I don't want to see your face," she whispered, her voice filled with pain. Her words didn't go unnoticed by Taeyeon, who was taken aback by the sudden distance.

"Why? What have I done wrong?" Taeyeon's voice trembled with hurt, tears streaming down her cheeks. Jieun's heartache intensified, and she fought the urge to break down completely. "I just... I need to be alone. Please, just leave me," she murmured softly, avoiding eye contact with her sister.

Just as the tension between the sisters hung heavy in the air, a voice called out Jieun's name. Both Jieun and Taeyeon turned their heads, their attention shifting to the figure approaching them, a presence that seemed to hold a hint of familiarity.