Chapter 4

~ Chapter 4~

  Axel and Ama had absolutely no leads onto where Stan was. None. At all. This outraged Axel.

 Where the hell could he be?! Should we....Could we....just keep going...? He might be lost to us forever at this point. Burned like a heretic in the town square...head on a spike at the town hall...Oh god....

"Hey, Axel...?" Ama asked quietly.

"Hmm..?"

"It-it will be okay. Alright? Let's just be on our way to our original destination. He is safe. I am sure of it. I have a feeling about this." Ama tried to say as cheerfully as possible with a small smile that set Axel at more ease.

"Yeah...okay. Let's go."

   They trudged on for a few more days without event. Small conversations, awkward silence building into a comfortable one. Small jokes to lighten each others hearts. Something was building inside them. Something new....

                                                                                    ~*~*~*~

   They finally arrive. At a Bed and Breakfast in a teeny tiny town on the middle of nowhere. Ama Is very very confused.

"Uhm, Axel, are you sure this is the right place..?"

"...Yeah. It is. You'll see..."

 Axe went inside. Ama followed him in. The house was cozy. Homey, and warm with walls of creamy yellow and rose pink curtains. Dark hardwood floors shined in the early morning sunlight that made Ama relax instantly. She had a good feeling about this place.

"Oh! Axel, my dear boy! I've missed you so much!" A grandmotherly figure walked in the entry way and gave Axe a humongous hug. Ama was surprised she could even reach his arms...

"H-hi....Mom...."

MOM?!?!?!?!

"Oh Hache hi, you've gotten soo big! What brings you all the way out here? Oh! I bet your looking for your brother aren't you?"

"Stanton's here?" Axel said hurriedly.

"Yes! I thought you knew..?" She gave him a questioning look.

" He's probably asleep. I'll check on him later. Mom, This is my-my....friend, Ama. Ama, this is my...Mom."

"Oh! Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes! Such pretty long hair! Come here and give me a hug sweetie!"

"Th-thanks" Ama said mid hug.

"Well, we are gonna go out back. I'm going to introduce Ama to...her." Axel said looking down.

"Alright honey." She said with a sad smile.

   They went out back without a word. Ama was curious about a lot of things at this point, but decided to leave Axel to his thoughts. He led her to a small crab apple tree in the far back of the yard in a secluded area. There were fresh flowers on the ground in front of the tree. It looked like a grave sight. Axel sighed.

"This" He said gesturing to the tree," Is a memorial, as you may have guessed." Ama could see that every word he uttered pained him. Alas, he continued. " This is a memorial of a...a girl. Her name was Anthea...." At that point he had to turn to look away, " I- I was, interested in her. In fact, you remind me of her a little. Anyway, she was unsure of how to respond when we started to talk of it. Casually of course. Then Stan came into the picture." Axel clenched his fists so his knuckles were white. " He tried to steal her from me. He was odd that day...he tried to make it all a....a game." Axel stopped and sat down. Ama moved to sit with him. She put her hand on his arm. His smile was wan, but grateful.