CHAPTER TWENTY.

Jack had left the forest before, back when he and Tiberius had taken those few trips to the human world to talk to Jack's parents—"Which reminds me," he muttered along the way, "I have a few letters to mail when we get back to Crescent Castle"—but he hadn't really gone through the town since he'd first stumbled into it.

But he still remembered The Siren Song, he remembered the stuffy round chairs and dust motes dancing in the moonlight pouring in through the circular windows that reminded Jack of portholes, and he remembered the fact that this bar was the only establishment in town that dared open so late at night. A meeting ground for werewolves and other magical creatures to hang out over drinks and a greasy dinner.

A group of three werewolves sat in the corner now, talking quietly amongst themselves over their beer, and at the sight of Jack they shot to their feet, fists over their hearts as they said a little too loudly, "My King!"

Jack quickly shushed them and urged them back down as Everett looked around the bar to make sure the few brave human stragglers hadn't noticed this odd greeting. Jack could feel their protective eyes follow him as he approached the bar where a giant old man with curly hair eyed him like he was sure he would steal something the moment he entered.

Except Jack had spoken to Lawrence Gills, and despite his fish smell and the large scarf that hid his neck and half his collarbone, Jack had had a suspicion that he knew more about what happened in the forest of Crowswood than anyone else in town.

He didn't look startled to see Jack, Everett, Wyatt, and Mira. If anything, his eyes narrowed further on Jack, as if his very presence was a confirmation of what he'd already suspected.

"I thought you'd come back here, Mr. Hunter," he said with his sandpaper voice.

"Hello, Lawrence," he said politely, taking a stool at the bar. "It's nice to see you again."

"After the last warning I gave you?" he grunted. "I doubt it. But after you didn't return from the forest all those months ago, I put the pieces together."

"Sorry," Jack smiled awkwardly. "I probably should've come back sooner, let you know I hadn't died."

"I never thought you would be killed like the others," he waved a dismissive arm. "You have any idea how many werewolves I get in here? News was buzzin' about King Tiberius's mate coming a month before you showed up. I knew who you were when I saw you."

"But," Jack frowned, "why'd you try to stop me from going into the forest, then?"

Lawrence's eyes ran over Jack's friends and came back to Jack. "Truth be told, I was afraid for you, kid. You looked so . . . human. Didn't know if you were up for a Wolf King's life. But you managed just fine, didn't you?"

Jack's smile softened, something in his chest warming at the thought of Tiberius. "So far. You're welcome to come to the wedding, if you'd like."

He snatched his rag off the counter. "Fish and wolves don't mix, boy."

"Right," he said, because he didn't know how else to respond to that. "I'm sorry, I'm being rude. This is Everett Mallow, Mira Craft, and Wyatt Haven."

"Pleasure," Everett said, clearly trying his best not to pinch his nose at the overwhelming smell of fish.

Lawrence merely grunted again as he cleaned a glass cup. Jack was trying to figure out how to best approach his request when Mira looked around the bar and very bluntly said—