part thirty six

the car ride home is an awkward affair. daniel stares out the window while Johnny chats about the movie with lucille, covering his bruised hand.

"and what about you honey? anything exciting happen?" ma asks, checking her son in the rear view mirror

"actually yeah" daniel glances at johnny and grins at the panicked look on his face "i was in the bathroom and this boy came in and started chatting to me and anyways i found out he knows bobby"

the blonde shakes his head, looking down at his feet.

"his name was like micheal or something. i don't know" daniel continues, glancing over at johnny again.

"you didn't ask his name?" ma asks, cursing as someone cuts her off.

johnny grins "does he even know your name?"

"well. there wasn't anytime, everything happened really fast" daniel rolls his eyes

"you found out he knew bobby but couldn't ask his name?" ma laughs

"i'm sure you had time to stop and ask him a few things" johnny turns in his seat to face daniel

"it doesn't matter. it's over now. i'm over it." daniel gives johnny a look he hopes make sense.

apparently one rejection won't stop daniel. maybe he is desperate?

"are you really over it?

"yes. i'm more interested in other things" daniel mutters

ma frowns in the rear view mirror "i feel like this conversation is straying from the original topic"

"sorry ms larusso"

"suck up" daniel mutters under his breath

johnny leans back against his seat and turns his head to look over at daniel  "get over it"

when they get back to the house dinner is already on the table. daniel takes a moment to calculate how long they must've been out.

if the movie started at 4:30 and was 2 hours & 12 minutes & the ride home was 1/2 hour it must almost be 7:30.

they hadn't even been up 12 hours and johnny was already affecting daniel badly.

"you boys hungry?" laura asks, pressing a glass of water into each boys chest.

"starving" johnny replies, sitting down and hiding his bruised hand under the table.

"hey. wash your hands first please" laura shakes her head "we don't know where those hands have been today"

daniel chokes on his drink, coughing as johnny rolls his eyes.

"oh no, are you alright honey?" laura puts an arm around daniels shoulders and he nods

"yeah i'm algood, the water just went down the wrong way"

did laura know something? would johnny have told her anything? daniel somehow didn't think the blonde would do that.

"ah ok. happens to the best of us" she laughs "now go wash your hands. both of you"

daniel smiles. how did laura, the nicest person ever, create such a mess of a boy.

he gets to the bathroom first, cursing under his breath as he sees the liquid soap. solid is so much better.

he's just turning on the tap as he feels two hands on his waist. he sucks in a surprised gasp .

"i never noticed how small your waist was" johnny mutters, his thumbs lifting up the bottom of daniels top. how does he do that shit so easily.