10: New Boo. Who You?

2 days later...

Friday | 9:30 p.m.
November 9, 2012

Akari Jeffers
As I relaxed on Yasmine's sofa reading a book, my phone started to ring on the coffee table. I stopped reading and glanced at it deciding to let it ring.

I knew it was Mykell calling to invite me to the birthday bash he was throwing for his younger brother Syair who'd turned 23 today

I knew it was Mykell calling to invite me to the birthday bash he was throwing for his younger brother Syair who'd turned 23 today. I was still a bit under the weather and to be totally honest? I wasn't in much of a partying mood. I'd spoken to my sister today and it seemed that our mother had been heavy on both our minds. I guess it was because Thanksgiving was nearing. That was a time for family. I hadn't had Thanksgiving with my sister and mother in almost 7 years and this year would hit a little harder because my mom was no longer on this earth.

I wanted so badly to just leave this place and go be with my sister but I was a citizen in the U.S. Hell I wished she could move here but she didn't have a green card and getting one for her was the hardest thing there was to do. These days you could either pray about it and hope it came through for you, marry a U.S. citizen, or found someone with connections that stretched as far as helping someone get a green card. It was frustrating but my sister and I had talked about this multiple times since our mom's passing. However, we didn't have much hope that it would work out.

The phone started to ring again and I huffed and grabbed it off the table, debating on if I wanted to answer before tapping ignore.

It started to ring again.

"Goddamn Myke." I sucked my teeth. He was starting to annoy me. He was blowing me up so much I started to get PTSD from when I'd been with crazy-ass Celeste.

He wasn't going to stop calling so I figured I might as well answer and tell him that I wouldn't be coming through tonight. I had a slight cold and I must've given it to Yasmine because she wasn't feeling good either. She'd gone to bed pretty early and I wanted to stick around not only for myself but for her as well.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Nigga where the fuck you at? You too pretty to get out the house or sum'n? It ain't no party unless you here and you know it. You're a hoe magnet and when they flock to you, they flock to me. Get the fuck up." He rambled on and I laughed.