XIII

|12|

Billie E. O'Connell

"Show them my watch, mama." I pointed my wrist to the camera, showing off my cartier watch to the camera.

My friend Danielle, whom I had known for a few years, was recording me while I was in the driver's seat of my new car, showing off some timepieces I had bought for myself as a gift just a few days ago. She zoomed in on an orange and stainless steel watch with diamonds around the bezel that I had picked up at a sale at Cartier.

"I love this one, Billie." She looked closely, touching the diamonds that were dancing. "It has very distinctive styling."

"That's why I got it." I mumbled. "I wanted something different. It's Italian, you know."

Danielle then changed her camera angle to showcase the rose gold and white leather strap of another model from my collection. She took another shot of two more models, side by side: the first was an alligator band with diamond studs; the second involved a chronograph face that glowed with red chrono hands.

"You look goood." She complimented me, rewatching the video that she recorded of me.

"Thank you. Lemme see." I grabbed the phone and watched the video with a big grin on my face, I'm definitely posting this.

"Send me this." I said to Danielle as I handed her the phone.

"Will do." She replied, going to imessage sending me the video.

I loved getting compliments on my watches and chains, especially from my friends. I had always been interested in timepieces, and I had started collecting them over time. I loved the way they made me feel: elegant, sophisticated, and polished. I often wore my watches to social events, and I always got compliments on them.

I loved the way they made me feel, and I loved the way they looked on me.

Dani and I were attending a party tonight that one of my close friends was throwing. For a while, we merely worked on posting pictures and videos for our social media pages while parked in the parking lot.

"Aight, you ready?" I asked her while unintentionally peering down at her breasts before stopping myself.

She nodded, and we exited the vehicle and entered the enormous building, which was filled with people dancing and smoke in the air.

Since she didn't know anyone else in here except me, I took her hand in mine. My friend group was lounging by the pool when we discovered them after searching around for them for a while.

"Yo wassup Dez." I chuckled, dapping Dez up while doing our handshake from when we first met.

"Waddup Bil. I ain't even know you was here yet, you should've hit my line."

"I had forgot I'm not gon' even hold you." I turned to face Dani to to see if she was good, which she was.

"What happened to what's her name?" He questioned as he peered behind me, but I shrugged it off by shaking my head.

He held his hands up in defense with hunched shoulders backing up.

"You good. But aye we about to go and get some drinks, we'll be right back." I stated before walking off with Dani now close behind me.

I sat near the kitchen island while they were still preparing drinks for others, so we had no other choice but to wait.

Dani sat in my lap, like she always does, looking down at her phone and typing away. I put my neck on her shoulder before I removed it, hearing a familiar voice.