1

I walked outside carrying a bag of trash to our trash can that was sitting in our curb in front of our house

I walked outside carrying a bag of trash to our trash can that was sitting in our curb in front of our house. It was Thursday and that meant that the trash collector would be here tomorrow morning on Friday. That was our schedule.

I looked over to my right spotting two Uhaul trucks at the house next to mine. One in the driveway and one in front of the house. There was a girl with short blonde hair and another girl with long blonde hair standing Outside of the house as the movers brought their furniture in. The girl with long hair jumped up and down cheesing before kissing the shorter-haired girl's lips.

In public? Doesn't she care what people will say or think? How is she so brave to just be out like that? I'm glad my father wasn't here. He would have a fit. I turned away from him and walked back to my door, but stopped after hearing someone yell at me.

"Yo!" I heard making me look over at the boy that appears to be my age.

"Yes?" I asked him feeling nervous. I don't talk to many people. Only at church when my father makes me. I'd rather stay quiet and to myself.

"Wassup? Im Corey and you are?" He asked me holding out his hand. I grabbed it shaking it as he chuckle letting him of my hand. "You never dapped a nigga up before?"

"No. I'm Ezekiel," I spoke as he nodded his head chuckling. He looked back over at the girls that were talking to each other while the girl with long hair laughed.

"Don't mind them. The tall one with short hair is my sister Azha. Not by blood, but still. The short one is her fiancé Kenzie, who's also like my sister. We just bought the house next door, so I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other right?" He spoke as I shrugged.

"I guess. Are they ok with being gay and being out in the open like that?" I asked him as he looked at them and then me exploring my face.

"You homophobic or something?" He asked me as I shook my head.

"No, I don't think so. I was just asking a question," I told him as he looked at me sideways smiling.

"You don't think so? What does that mean?" He asked me as I opened my mouth to speak, but went quiet once I saw my father pulling up.

"Come get these groceries out of the car and take them in Ezekiel," he spoke after parking and getting out of his car.

"Yes, sir," I replied looking back at...Corey? "I have to go,"

"Yea, it's all good. We can always talk about this another time. We're gonna be neighbors so I know we will. I Can see us becoming real good friends," he said gently squeezing my shoulder before jogging back over to his yard and playfully smacking the shorter girl...Kenzie was it?

She laughed and hit him back before looking at me and waving with her fingers. I gave her a small wave back before heading to the trunk of my fathers Mercedes. I opened it up and pulled out the bags making sure I had them all because I was not trying to take two trips. I grabbed the bags and closed the trunk walking into the house before sitting them down on our counter. I started taking the food out of the bags as my father walked back into the room.