Chapter 3

He had gone ballistic. While figuring his new home, I had forgotten one important detail: he is deathly afraid of mice.

“What kind of home is a fucking attic, huh? I’m a guy, not a pet! And you know that I hate mice! There could be mice the size of cats up there!” He yelled. I was glad my parents weren’t home, even with sound proof walls.

“I looked up there and there aren’t any mice, Niall, so settle the hell down!”

“THEY HIDE!!!!” he claimed. He looked like a lunatic.

“Would you rather be in a trash can, or under my bed?!”

“YES!”

Now there was silence, and I started lightly crying. I had never had anyone yell at me this way before. My parents were and loving and understanding--definitely not what Niall was being.

“Look, I’m, I’m sorry I freaked out on you like that. You know that I do that sometimes—well, a lot today. The attic would be fine —as long as there aren’t mice,” I looked up to find him tearing up as well as smiling, which made me cry harder.

“Hey, I said I was sorry.” he said.

“I know. It’s okay,” I said through sobs.

A few minutes later, we managed to stop crying and moved him and his few belongings into the attic. We dusted and we moved furniture around—pullout couches, sofas and lamps that should have been sold at our garage sale two summers ago, but we had never gotten up here to look through all of our stuff — until finally, it was livable.

“How does it look?” I asked.

“Mm, it’s alright.”

“Livable?”

“Sure,”

“Uh, I’ll leave you here to get situated,” I told him.

“Is it okay if I go downstairs and take a shower?” He looked directly into my eyes. I think he’s found out that it’s my weakness.

“My parents will be home any minute. Maybe you could when they leave for work tomorrow?” I suggested.

“Sure, okay.”

“Do you want anything to eat?” I asked. I was starting to feel sorry for him. Heaven knows how long it had been since he had a home-cooked meal.

“Uh, not right now, maybe later.”

“Okay, I’ll come up here and check on you when I can, alright?” he nodded. “Well, I’m going back downstairs. See you later.”

“Bye,” he watched me as I went back down the stairs to my bedroom.