Chapter 10

I trudged upstairs with the guilt in my heart, and I knew this was the last time I would be climbing up here for a while. But for police officers, this would be one of many places they would go for the investigation. Could they find my fingerprints? Could they trace my footprints? Since I was only a few steps up, I jumped down from the staircase and bolted into my room. I hoped it wasn’t too late. What if they found out I had caused his death? Was it really my fault? I sure hoped not, but I couldn’t bee too sure. Maybe since my parents were up there too, they would think I was just with them cleaning. But what if they told the cops I wasn’t here this weekend? I’m screwed!

                As I darted into my room, I quickly slammed the door and ran under the safety of my covers. It felt child-like and silly, but soothing and comforting at the same time.

                “Do you want to be grounded, young lady? You know the rules: no slamming doors!” mom was furious now, but she knew it couldn’t be me who killed him. I’m just her innocent daughter, right?

                To think that Niall, laying on the bed I supplied for him, would be dead. I never got to tell him how I felt, and now I’ll never know if he liked me back. Or would loved be a better word? It kills me that it’s all past tense, even if I loved him. I still do, and probably always will.

                It’s hard to convince yourself you didn’t commit the crime. It was my entire fault that David had died. If I wasn’t so stubborn and forgetful, he wouldn’t have had to gone even a day without food or water. But no, I would stay mad between fights, and forget his presence. I couldn’t do enough, no, I didn’t do enough, but now it’s far too late. He’s gone, and there’s no changing it.