Chapter 5

“Never mind. I just wanted to check on you, because, well, yeah.”

“Okay, well, I’m fine, so…” this conversation was turning awkward.

“I’ll just go back downstairs—“

“Wait, can you stay for a few minutes? We haven’t talked, like, really talked, in a while.”

“Alright,” We sat on the bed that would become his for who knows how long. “What do you want to talk about?”

“I just want to say thanks for doing this. I couldn’t imagine a better place to be than, well, home.”

“I understand. And you’re welcome,” I smiled.

“So, um, do I go to school, or what?”

“I’m not really sure. We don’t want my parents to know you’re here, so I don’t think you can. Sorry, bud.”

“S’okay. I’ll just, like, clean or something,” he chuckled.

“I can get you some stuff to do, like crosswords or books, if you want.”

“Alright,” this conversation was absolutely boring me, especially because I was tired.

“Well, I’m gonna go—“

“Please! Just a little while longer!” He had grabbed my wrist as I was getting off of the bed.

“David, we need sleep! I need sleep!” I paused. “Do you know how weird this is?”

“Well, if it’s so weird, why don’t you let me leave?”

The awkward silence had reared its ugly butt, yet again.

“Because—“

“Because why?”

“I- I can’t tell you.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’ll hate me and it’ll become more awkward than it is now.”

“This can’t possibly get more awkward.” He chuckled.

“Oh, you want me to tell you?” I was becoming fed up.

That’s what I’ve been saying, isn’t it?

I was tearing up again, for the second time today. I rushed downstairs. I couldn’t take this anymore, and I desperately needed sleep. I would deal with him in the morning.