02

TATUM and Calvin had just gotten to the school grounds as they saw police and news vans surrounding the school. They got out of the car and started walking towards the school, "this must be about Casey." Calvin whispered to Tatum. "Yeah obviously." Tatum replied as she elbowed her brother in the stomach and rolled her eyes. 

"of course Gale Weathers is here, fame seeking bi-" Calvin is interrupted by his sister walking away. He runs after her, telling her to wait. As Calvin caught up to Tatum she had stopped behind Sidney, tapping her shoulder. Sidney spins around to face the person who tapped her, "Do you believe this shit?" Tatum questions Sidney. 

"What happened?" Sidney replies. "Oh gosh! You don't know? Casey Becker and Steve Forrest were killed last night." Tatum explained. "No way." Sidney retorted. "Sid you really gotta watch the news more." Calvin chuckled. Sidney rolled her eyes, focusing her attention back on Tatum, "And not just killed, Sid. We're talking splatter movie killed--split open end to end." Tatum continued. 

"Casey Becker? She sits next to us in English." Sidney spoke, pointing between her and Calvin. "Not anymore. Her parents found her hanging from a tree. Her insides on the outside." Tatum retorted. 

"Do they know who did it." Sidney questioned. "Fucking clueless--they're interrogating the entire school. Teachers, students, staff, janitors..." Tatum answered. "They think its school-related? Sidney questioned again. "They don't know-" Calvin interrupted Tatum. 

-Dewey said this is the worse crime they've ever seen. Even worse than..." Calvin stopped himself. "Well, it's bad. They're bringing in the feds. This is big." Tatum continued after Calvin, eyeing him for interrupting her as they walked into the school doors. 

Sidney and Calvin walk into English class as Sidney takes her seat, Calvin following her as he sits in his seat right across from Sidney. The seat in front of the two is vacant, where Casey Becker used to sit. Sidney stares at the seat, not being able to remove her eyes from it. 

"...a terrible tragedy. An unbearable loss. It's days like today we need prayer in school..." Mrs. Tate is interrupted when a student enters with a slip of paper and hands it to Mrs. Tate. "Sidney. it appears to be your turn, dear." Mrs. Tate reads the slip of paper. 

Sidney stands up and looks to Calvin who shoots her a reassuring look. She walks out of the classroom as the door slams behind her. Calvin looks back toward Casey's seat and lets out a deep sigh as he turns his attention back to his work in front of him. 

Calvin had finished his work and was now watching the clock, waiting for the class to be over or something of some interest would happen to pass the time. As the sound of the clock fills his ears, he hears the door open. His eyes shoot towards the door and he sees Sidney handing Mrs. Tate a slip of paper just like the student before, "Calvin. Its your turn." She states. 

Calvin gets up as Sidney is walking towards her seat. He looks at her, "It's not that bad." She whispers as he walks by her. He walks towards the door and grabs the handle, opening it. He looks back a Sidney one last time as she shoots him a small but forced smile. 

Calvin arrives in the principal's office as he looks around. The room is full with police from wall to wall, some standing, sitting, or leaning against the wall. Calvin nervously walks through as he hears Sheriff Burke speaking, "Who's up next." Dewey says his brothers name as Calvin walks through the doors. "Hi Calvin." Sheriff Burke greets. 

"Sheriff Burke. Dewey." Calvin greets as Dewey shakes his head seriously. "It's Deputy Riley today, Cal." Dewey corrects as he hears Calvin trying to cover up his laughter. Dewey starts to speak but is cut off by Sheriff Burke, "How is everything?" He questions. "Good." Calvin answers. "We'll be brief Calvin. The police have a few questions they'd like to ask you..." Mr. Himbry states as Calvin eyes them all nervously.