Chapter 6

Feyrith still couldn't tell if his presence in Everward was welcomed or distrusted

Feyrith still couldn't tell if his presence in Everward was welcomed or distrusted. He'd offered to help with smaller, quickly solvable problems, but he knew the humans would have appreciated more if he'd stayed, and some had definitely grumbled something about him. But unfortunately, he couldn't stay. He had a mission to complete, and after his experience in the jungle, he now knew fully well that he wouldn't be trying to cross it anytime soon if he could avoid it.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world to be here for longer, of course. He quite enjoyed seeing foreign creatures and landscapes—especially the wild herds of quasir which he'd seen a few times, roaming the fields and grazing—but it would be for the best to verify whether the magical energies in the ruin were dangerous or not as quickly as possible. The Council hadn't given him a time limit, but they hadn't needed to. Feyrith understood that this mission was time-sensitive, and the sooner it was dealt with the better.

Then again, their most important mission, and their constant priority, was to help the humans, which made this very conflicting. But ultimately leaving this threat unattended might potentially be more dangerous to humans than their current problems. Feyrith would do his best to help on his way back, assuming he wouldn't be immediately recalled to Aendor, but that was unlikely. He had no important research or duties that couldn't be put off for a few days.

Though even now he thought he'd rather stay and help these people than go back. At least for a while. He'd never been encouraged to do so, which he assumed was because the Council didn't find him experienced enough to go here. But, while he would hate to overestimate his abilities, he was confident that he was powerful enough to make a difference without it being too risky.

The constant use of his magic was exhausting, definitely, but he knew that would get better with each spell he cast. He hadn't had much opportunity to practice healing spells for example, which were the most obvious drain, but it was only a matter of practice. And he wouldn't get much opportunity to practice on Aendor, where all injuries were treated by elves who had studied healing magic for decades. All he'd had to heal back there were his own papercuts from paging through books far too eagerly.

He was enjoying being here so far, though, which was a welcome surprise. He was still nervous, of course, but he was sure that would wear off in time. He'd never felt at ease in new places. But he was also constantly torn between that, and his fascination with everything around him. Frankly, it was difficult to keep himself from not stopping every time he so much as saw humans and listening to them talking about their everyday lives.

It was all just so different from everything he'd ever known, and it was intensely fascinating. Feyrith would have to make sure he didn't get too carried away. Which would be easier if reaching his destination wouldn't still take days.

His quasir let out a short caw as if it could tell what Feyrith was thinking and was taking it as a criticism. Feyrith ran a hand over the beast's feathers, quickly realizing what the actual problem was when he saw lightning appear over the dark gray sky, towards the horizon.