Chapter 7

“Spill it already!” the two boys were getting impatient.

“Fine, fine! I wrote :

‘Dear Soobin, I’m quite scared to be writing you this even though it’s for some dumb event and I didn’t even write my name on this letter. I don’t know if you received any other cards, of confessions specifically, but I hope you chose this one to be your favorite.

We’ve been talking for a while and I’m pretty sure we’re friends now, but I always wonder. What if we were more than friends? If I told you this in real life, in real time, would our friendship end? Would it end well or would we never see each other? God I wish that would never happen.

I keep thinking about you all day and I can’t stop it. I feel so lucky to just be talking to you. I feel blessed that you walked into my life without even a warning. I never felt like this towards anyone before and I hope you feel the same for me. I’m taking this risk and I hope you figured out by now who this is.

You know?’

It took some time for Beomgyu to respond. That was such a beautiful letter and he never thought Yeonjun could be like that he also didn’t want to give Yeonjun the satisfaction of getting a compliment from him. But he did kind of deserve one.

“That… was genuinely so cute.” He admitted.

“Thanks, I hope he figures out it was me that wrote that, but not at the same time…”

“It was really nice, I wished somebody would send me something like that,” Said Kai. “but what does the ‘You know?’ mean at the end?”

“Oh, that’s just an inside joke me and Soobin have.”

“Oh, then he’ll for sure know it’s you! That’s basically like writing your name dude.”

“I hope you’re right…”

Beomgyu kind of felt jealous of Yeonjun for having an inside joke with the guy he liked. ‘When is it my turn?’ he whined in his head and pouted.

“I’m surprised you remember your love letter by heart, it must’ve really come from the heart huh?” he winked and Yeonjun hit him in the arm. He let out a small yelp and they all laughed together until the end of lunch break.

-

It was finally Tuesday. The first period was off, because of the event. Students could read their letters and walk around school with their friends to show off the cards they just got. Or, they could take this opportunity to form new couples. But now that Beomgyu thought about it, he couldn’t accept any of his cards, because the people who wrote them aren’t real. The ‘people' who wrote them is himself.

Beomgyu arrived in his class per usual and as planned, his desk was full of letters. The other kids in Beomgyu’s class started giving him stares, maybe out of jealousy or out of shock.

“Wow Beomgyu, I’m impressed you got so many letters. Are they all love confessions?” asked his classmate Hyunjin.

“Yeah I’m pretty sure most of them are!” he responded with pride.

Sure he wanted to impress his classmates, but that wasn’t his main goal. His main principal number one goal was to impress Yeonjun and Kai. So he got out of the class after grabbing all his letters and went to their habitual table at the cafeteria. Kai wasn’t there yet, but Yeonjun was and he saw the older with a big pile of cards too. Did Yeonjun still manage to beat him?

The older had one letter in hand and was reading it with a smile plastered on his face. ‘Is he going to accept that letter?

“Good morning hyung!”

“Ah, Beomgyu! How are y-” he stopped what he was saying. “Shit! Look at how many letters you got!”

Beomgyu couldn’t help but feel a sheepy smile come on his face. “I’m good, thanks for asking. Yeah, even I’m surprised I got this many. You wanna read all of them together?”

“Sure, how many letters did you get?” ohhh, so Yeonjun also was in this competition.

“I’m not too sure, I didn’t count yet. How many did you get?”

“Thirty one I think.”

‘Shit, that’s the same as me.’ Beomgyu didn’t want to be tied with Yeonjun, he wanted more.

“Wait, I’ll count mine right now.” Maybe Beomgyu got a miscalculation, maybe he had a chance to beat Yeonjun.

He started counting them in his head. One by one they would go into the already counted pile. And then when he counted 31 cards, there was still 1 left.

“Thirty two…”