48 | hi, lovebirds.

"Should we head off?" Scarlett asks, wiping the corners of her mouth with a napkin as I stack my empty plate on top of hers.

I have plans to meet Marty in the park in roughly twenty minutes, but with his lack of awareness when it comes to time, it'll probably end up being closer to forty.
We made a pact that when I finished rehab the two of us would come back to our weekly sketching sessions every Saturday. It's something we haven't done in months, and we've missed spending time together on a regular basis.

"Yeah, in a minute. I just want to talk to Gracie first," I admit, pushing my chair out from under the table and standing to my feet, making sure to brush any crumbs off of my new pink jeans. I was unusually emotional yesterday, so Scarlett took me out for lunch before we did a little bit of retail therapy.

"Alright, I'll wait here."

Weaving my way through the crowd, I take myself behind the front counter and stand beside the coffee machine where Gracie is currently working her way through half a dozen orders.

"Hi, stranger," I greet the redhead with a smile, leaning back against the marble bench top and crossing my arms over my chest.

Placing the espresso cup on top of the drip tray, she lifts her head and returns the smile. "Hey, Kenz. You know you're not supposed to be back here, right?"

"Fine, I'll go then," I shrug, a light smirk resting on my lips as I push myself off the bench top.
"No," she whines, "I want you to stay." Grabbing me by the shoulder, she pulls me back before resuming her task.

A childish grin rests on my lips, satisfied with her answer. "Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

"Uh, I have work until twelve-thirty, but I'm free after that," she admits, quickly glancing up at me before reaching for the milk frothing jug.

"Do you want to do something? We could maybe see a movie, or...I don't know, we can decide later," I propose, feeing hopeful.

"I would love to. A movie sounds nice, I haven't been to the theatres in ages, I miss the popcorn," she admits with a light chuckle.

"Oh, movie popcorn is amazing," I return the chuckle, "I'll have a look at what's on then and call you tonight."

"Great. I can pick you up if you'd like?" She offers kindly.
"Are you sure? I'm happy to meet you here."

"I don't mind, Kenz. I'll probably want to go home and shower first anyway," she explains in a gentle manner.

"Alright then, thank you," I respond, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, angel," she says with a kind smile, leaning over slightly as she presses her lips against my cheek. Heat rushes to my face instantly, her gaze lingering on mine for a moment before we're interrupted by Avery walking past.

"Hi, lovebirds."

Gracie light slaps her arm before she can get away, but I'm too enamoured by her previous actions to say or do anything.

"Get back to work, it's too busy for you two to be eye-fucking each other," Avery adds, walking past again in the other direction with a kitchen towel now over her shoulder.

If it were possible for me to go any redder in the face, I definitely did.

"That's not what we were doing, you asshole," Gracie groans, this time kicking her in the shin.
Her face is just as red as mine, but the sudden glassiness in her blue eyes doesn't go unnoticed.
Avery embarrassed her.

"I'm so sorry, she can be such a bitch sometimes. That's not what I was doing," she explains in a shaky voice, managing to crack a small smile as she gets back to making the cup of coffee.