Chapter 40: Contract

This was, by no means, a bad story.

In the end, I was offered a contract with a sum that totaled 150 million won.

The currency here summed up to having 1,500 gold as down payment and an annual salary of 700 gold. The annual salary in itself was a whopping 70 million won in Hanwha. I still didn't know how much evaluation the newcomers to this place got, but I honestly felt like I got a significantly heftier sum than most of them did.

However, even with this tempting bribe, I knew that they did not genuinely want to recruit me. There could have been many reasons, but the main thing I could think of was that my potential was way below average. Compared to my companions, I was seen as the weaker one that needed to be carried everywhere he went.

My chosen job as an alchemist, along with my low magic, were surely the reasons why my evaluation had lowered considerably.

I wanted to speak up but found myself frozen in place. My body suddenly felt like heavy lead, and I felt like puking the remnants of what I ate the day before.

'Right...'

This situation made me wonder just how much they were willing to sacrifice to have the whole team recruited. They knew the others would not agree if I weren't a part of the recruitment.

Lee Sang-hee once again opened her mouth. I knew she sensed my uneasiness and embarrassment.

"You won't be getting just that. I can't explain everything right now, but there are also many welfare plans available. You can think of these as incentives, like on Earth. Typically, it is possible to use various basic insurance such as accident insurance and death insurance. You are also free to use the facilities in the guild. I will also assign you a personal coach. Ah! Even if you get married or have a child, you will be paid basic support. In fact, there are not so many people who are getting married these days..."

"Ah, that's right. Is there any reason?"

"Perhaps it is because being in a guild exposes you to unknown dangers. The situation now may be better than the tutorial dungeon itself, but one can never be too careful. The Blue Guild mainly maintains the guild through dungeon exploration or monster hunting. Of course, as much as we go hunting, we also operate a performance system. The by-products of monsters that appear after the hunt is over are divided between the guild and the hunting party at a rate of about 40% to 60%. The exact figure is..."

"It makes sense that you are exposed to danger. Does the down payment and annual salary include the risk allowance?"

"Yeah. It's probably a bit larger than what you imagine," again, she answered honestly. On the other hand, I felt like quite the professional to ask questions like these.

I don't know how long it had been since the Earth's people have been here, but I felt like it had been a very long time. How else would they think of such long-term backups such as insurance?

'You smart aleck.'

"As an alchemist, we will provide you with the catalysts you need as much as possible. Of course, it may be difficult to support expensive items, but..."

"Lee Sang-hee..."

"It is good to be honest."

"Hm..."

"This is everything that Blue Guild can offer you."

I liked how Lee Sang-hee had chosen to present herself to me. She showed me respect and gave me ample time to process everything.

However, the elderly members sitting on either side of her were the problem. I could feel their disapproval from a mile away. These were undoubtedly the types who were openly judgmental. However, one problem still stood for them - they did not know just how emotionally attached I was to the other three.