Day 2 - First Time (MiyanoWeek2023)

Day 2 - First Time
.:Written for MiyanoWeek2023:.
First Flight, "Icarus" AU - snippet from future fic, "Wings That Can't Fly"
Rating: T

................................................................................

There were many "first times" that Sasaki could remember having with Miyano.

Like the first time he was saved by him. How someone deemed as "royalty" stopped to help him. Sasaki had been wounded beyond repair, and yet this princely figure healed him using the rare gifts he was blessed with. His smile was the thing that captured him the most, and from then on, Sasaki vowed to devote his life to him.

The first time they officially met was underneath the pergola with the blooming flowers and fairy lights. He swore to protect him, and Miyano accepted. Though, Sasaki hadn't realized what that protection entailed.

The first time he had to fulfill his sworn duty was at sunset, when all the clouds were made of fiery reds and oranges. Miyano was crouched and shielding himself with his arms from the many blows aimed at him. An angry mob that targeted the young man, and Sasaki quickly put a stop to it. Miyano thanked him, but it wasn't nearly as much as the younger had already done for him.

Then, there was the first time he saw his paintings. How seemingly alive they were. Wings of all different types drawn across canvases in startling colors that were vibrant and bold. Each set was unique. Each carefully crafted feather was for a purpose that Sasaki couldn't fathom.

He was good. Too good. For these wings that Miyano lovingly crafted were not just pieces of art. They were made real in the forms of winged beings in the sky. Humans turned into angels.

Sasaki knew this well because he became one of those beings. His wings given by the one he sworn to protect.

"They suit you." Miyano was happy when he saw them extend from his back. They towered over them in a flurry of golden and red feathers. "Like a phoenix." He praised, and Sasaki wanted to cry.

The first time he found out the truth behind Miyano's strange powers, he was furious. The king only used him to create more winged humans for his army, and Miyano, "Icarus" became a caged bird.

The first time Sasaki set him free, he got to see them. Miyano's wings were unlike any of the others he created. The feathers were softer, yet took on all the colors of the rainbow—of the universe. They were mesmerizing to watch as he flew higher and higher. Those eyes he loved so much were bright and sparkling in the sunlight, and his face happier than he'd ever seen him.

The first time had been the last time because "Icarus," Miyano, fell. The sun tore through those beautiful wings in a fiery blaze, and the feathers fell as embers into the sea below. Sasaki saved him from meeting the same fate, and as Miyano cried out at the loss of his one dream, Sasaki vowed that they would fly together someday. Where no sun could hinder them. When no king could control them. His love for him would continue to hold them together.

/END