ii: red-bricked road

112 AC

Maester Orwyle is the kindest Maester she has ever known.

The Maesters in Dragonstone are all knobbly knees and wrinkly skin. Aesira once thought they posed as wizards until they outright told her that magic wasn't part of their profession. She wanted to argue that they looked like one of the magic-wielders in the picture books she adored reading again and again but they shut her down and proceeded to explain the most basic parts of Westeros history to a child of four name days. Everything about them was boring — none of the whimsical touch she wanted to see. It nearly drove her mother insane how she would prefer to make the Maesters' lives a lot worse by never listening to their teachings and by always hopping from one chair to another. Her father, though, laughed at every misguided action Aesira made, claiming that she was becoming his little dragon. Still, she wanted them to be more engaging; they were droning like insects during the summer and it wasn't a nice sound to listen to every day.

But Maester Orwyle is patient enough to face Aesira's never-ending questions.

How do you become a Maester? Can you do magic? But Mother said you can heal any wound, so why can't you do magic? Where do you come from? Does the King pick you? When can I see my dragon? Do you know anything about dragons?

She learns that to assume as a Maester, one must study and dedicate their life to being a scholar in a place called the Citadel. Maester Orwyle doesn't go into full detail but he reveals that it is guarded by the Hightowers, which is the House the Queen belongs to. No, they can't do magic, an answer she heard from across the seas and they can't fully heal a wound, unfortunately. Maester Orwyle doesn't entertain the questions about seeing her dragon but he offers a wide variety of history lessons about them when he has more time for tutoring. He tells her she is a breath of fresh air after witnessing her fiery enthusiasm about learning, adding that Prince Aegon and Princess Helaena both have their little things to worry about other than learning about how the realm came to be. Aegon, she can understand, but Helaena? The girl looks smart enough with how composed she appears. But Aesira doesn't have the right to judge someone's character — she was taught by her mother to be better than that.

After her hundredth question, Maester Orwyle places a bound journal on the table.

"What do I do with it, Maester Orwyle?" She asks, eyeing the brown book with slight intrigue.

The man chuckles, waving a hand to dismiss whatever suspicion she has of this blank book. "It's blank, my Lady, not at all associated with our studies. We've already established that you have the most outstanding proficiency in reading the common language at a young age." He gestures to the tomes carefully placed around the edges of the long table. "I suspect that you also know how to write the basic letters?"