xviii: we are haunted by dreams

"I kneel into a dream where I am good and loved. I am good. I am loved."

-- Natalie Wee; Least of All

[aegon]

King's Landing is a drab place now that he has no younger brother to push around or younger nephews to lead.

Aegon's days are spent mostly studying the intricacies of Westeros, the trading routes, political stances, and anything that has come out of the Small Council meetings he has been in attendance to as a cupbearer. While Aether ravaged the courtyards of the squires and knights willing to face him, the firstborn son of the King chooses to be a fucking Septum-in-training of all things. But it is the only thing that can result in him protecting his family—by being the son that Mother wants him to be. Sitting in the massive library of the Keep, purposely surrounding himself with scrolls dating back thousands of years, Aegon thinks back to the night after Aemond claimed Vhagar and lost an eye.

Mother was devastated. People were bound to talk after that and surprisingly, they weren't on the side of a mother promising to rain blood because her son was maimed. She was seen as a mad queen of all sorts. Because of it, Aesira was the one sitting on Aemond's bedside as well as watching any signs for Daemian to wake up. While Mother was away to process the fight and the outcome of it, Aesira never had any sleep, in hopes that Daemian would wake up and ask for her and Aether. The boy doesn't wake up after a couple of days of being unconscious. Aegon never thought he would see Aesira cry again, especially when Damy appeared to be more disoriented than a boy who fell from a flight of stairs (Aemond). It was a painful sight that he didn't want to endure ever in his years.

And Father ... he mourned the most out of everyone.

The mantle of the current Targaryen dynasty, the King of Westeros, and a fucking lousy father—to his full siblings, that is.

Aegon supposes he received the longest stick among the bunch, seeing as there was no punishment waiting for him when they arrived in the Keep. Father is often particular about his other children's behaviour around his eldest child; anything crossing the line means going against his unspoken law of honouring Rhaenyra's name. For Aegon, the hushed conversations as they pass are punishment enough. He doesn't need to have a constant reminder that because he was knackered by the cups he drank, his brother came home with one eye missing. Father isolated himself in his quarters the past couple of days, only letting Grandfather enter to relay all the accounts happening in King's Landing.