the unfortunate royals.

AESIRA TARGARYEN is not her father's daughter.

He may have played a part in how she wailed in her first duet but she doesn't crave bloodlust the way he did when he slayed the masked monsters that terrorised minds and cut off men's cocks for their crimes. She's sure that when the gods flipped her father's coin, it never landed, still flying in the air — he was both a slayer of men and a natural doer of sins and debauchery; a figure so loved and so stigmatised by those who weren't likened to the deities of the Old and the New. She doesn't have the urge to swipe the throne from underneath the court's eyes, doesn't have the urge to soil and taint the innocence of her younger nephews — straying them from their birthright. Though named after a fairy tale warrior children revered so much, she steers clear of anything that her father ever touched. The way of the sword and warfare circulates her twin brother's blood. Being the best dragonrider is her little brother's dream, never hers.

She is not her father's daughter.

While the second prince who had nothing to inherit (but the cries of the people) wore their House with pride, she thought it was a burden to carry. She knows the gods knew on which side her coin landed but she tries hard enough to erase it. (Can she truly change her fate, though? When the whispers in between the red bricks haunt her so about how deep her parentage is?) Instead of wearing the blood red and the coal black of their colours, she chooses everything easy on the eyes; pastel demeanour and soft disposition — I am light and he is dark; I am separate from the blood running in my veins; I overcome him through thick and thin, as the novels and the sayings go — Light conquers Darkness whichever way you see it.

She is not her father's daughter.

Why would she be if he abandoned her and her siblings as he married the next innocent thing? Why would she consider him as her father when her twin brother cried about him never loving their mother one night when they were five name days old? Why should she be his daughter when he couldn't even look her in the eye when the day required the family to be together?

She will never be her father's daughter.

But she is in every way her mother's. The lies flowing from her mind are all inherited from how her beautiful, lovely, caring mother crafted them as the woman stroked her slender fingers through the waves of her hair, "He will come back to us, darling sweetling; He loves you both so much and this little one I'm carrying as well." Because of her mother, she can lie to save millions.