xiv: i am, you are, you and i, in this ethereal night

i am, you are, you and i, in this ethereal night. we are alone, you and i; i am "you" too --- there's no "i".

VAHAN TERYAN; two phantoms

[aesira]

The hallways are haunting when the courtiers retire to their apartments for the night.

The moon doesn't provide enough illumination as Aesira traverses the hallway with one hand on the wall for guidance. Her right palm is trailing over the ridges of the bricks and the smoothness of the canvases depicts the most scandalous of paintings. Her hair catches the moonlight spilling through the windows, a sight of molten white gold that seemed to glow brighter than any object reflecting the moon's rays.

All she wants is to find something in the main kitchens that will help her with her obvious wakefulness. The robes she hastily places on her person prevent her night shift from peeking through, the garment swishing on the floor even with all the tailoring Aunt Alicent made. It isn't like her to sneak out of her bedchambers and make friends with the shrouded labyrinth of the Keep but with how much her lips are tingling, she figures it is best to venture through the hallways until it leads her to the kitchens, where leftovers are gathered so that they will be distributed to the castle workers who didn't have a full meal for the day. Aesira is wondering whether there will be remainders of the honey lemon cakes the kitchen maids prepared at dinner, her mind humming in satisfaction at the taste that still lingers on the top of her palate. There is a little pep in her step now and she can't help but feel a little excitement at the delicacies waiting for her in her destination.

However, Aesira's smile vanishes when she hears movement at the corner right ahead.

She presses herself to the wall, letting the shadows shroud her body. The shuffling of feet is hurried and almost suspicious when mixed with the silence of the castle. Aesira risks leaning forward to catch a glimpse of the person acting as if they would be beheaded for being caught (unless they're any of her cousins and brothers, then Aunt Alicent would have a fit in the middle of the night, and the matter will be entirely solved).