Chapter 1

In darkness stars shine

Chapter 1

Not today emotions.

For right around the fifth time this week I was wishing death upon the numbers sitting on my screen taunting me with their little symbols, and perfectly strait lines, all blending into one nice long equation that seems to really enjoy turning my brain into mush.

Numbers. I hate numbers.

Tell me something, what is a number? I understand that most basic things in life stem from numbers, but sometimes I just have to wonder what would life be like without numbers?

At least I know I wouldn't be plagued by algebra. 

Which I most definitely was right now.

I look back down to my "notes" which were more or less just a page covered in doodles sitting there so I could look like I was at least attempting to do my work.

A little smiley face glares at me taunting me with its happiness.

It seems just about all things were happy but me.

Even the little flower drawings I had done convey a sense of joy.

I was not joyful.

I put a big X across the page of my doodles in frustration ripping through the paper.

Stinking X. How the heck are you meant to turn a letter into a number?

Most days me and letters got along. Letters formed sentences, sentences form paragraphs, and paragraphs form books, and books create worlds in which I can escape my dreadfully dull life full of nothing but a annoying sister who's good at everything in life and parents who hated me.

Books and words are an escape from life.

This math sitting I front of me was not.

Math is a cruel joke played by life simply to bring me pain. And apparently to bring my sister joy by using it to torment me.

"MOOoooooOOMmm!!" She hollers from the couch behind me. "MIRAS NOT DOING HER WORK AGAIN!!"

I slam my head down to the table with a groan.

That is Cleo.

She's like Narcissus reincarnated. Practically in love with herself. She's always bragging about something amazing she did, or talking about how great she is, or how much better she is then me.

It really stinks.

She thinks she's too good for this world, waltzing above all else. Though I suppose I can't really blame her. That's how she was raised. Hold your head high, and believe your above all else.

My parents think she's the biggest genius in town, but I had seen her real report cards, the ones she didn't show our parents.

I had seen her google countless answers for test before, and seen her lie about what she got on quizzes.

But it didn't matter what I told my parents, they where going to believe Cleo.

Cleo was the perfect child they always wanted.

She was born a year after me, and the second she was brought into this world and my parents saw her big blue eyes and I was discarded like and old toy. I was disposable to my parents. Cleo was the one who was going to get far in life, so why even bother with me?

Cleo was perfect in their standards.

She was pretty, smart, and popular.

I on the other hand was average. I wasn't dumb, but I wasn't smart, I wasn't ugly, but I wasn't pretty. I was me. I was nothing to brag about to their rich friends. Hence why I escape to books.