Chapter 2 - Somebody To Someone

The next morning comes and Jason wakes up first, still laying on Sam. This is the first night in weeks he feels so well-rested, so comfortable. He pretends that Sam isn't part of the reason he actually slept well. It's definitely just a coincidence. He decides it was just complete exhaustion from not sleeping and the flight to and from San Francisco. That's all it is. But he takes a moment to smile softly as Sam sleeps.

He wonders if today will be different. Every single time they fall asleep together, they wake up the morning after and it's awkward. It always feels like something happened when it didn't and neither of them ever know what to do about it. It's as if they're too vulnerable with each other to be just friends and they both know it, deep down in the very back of their heads. But neither of them ever want to address it so it gets weird. And he wonders if it'll be like that here, with just the two of them and Bruce.

Jason doesn't let himself sit in comfort for long before he gets up, careful not to wake up Sam. Once he's on his feet, he takes the blanket and pulls it over her shoulders with a tender smile before he heads off to the kitchen. He finds Bruce in the kitchen with a morning coffee on one of the tablets.

"Good morning, Jason." Bruce says, looking up from his tablet. Bruce definitely walked by the bedrooms which were wide open and found the two of them asleep on the couch.

"Morning." Jason responds, his voice a little happier than usual.

"Late night?"

Jason freezes at the fridge before looking over at Bruce. "No." Jason scoffs. "We fell asleep watching a movie."

"Okay." Bruce chuckles softly, mostly to himself and Jason's eyes narrow at him.

Jason pulls out a carton of eggs, some cheese, and some ham before heading over to the stove. He warms up the pan with some butter and gets a cup of coffee for himself. Jason gets the eggs ready to be put in the pan for an omelet, grabbing a few of his favorite spices and he gets to work. Jason always preferred omelets for breakfast, they're easy, filling, plenty of protein, and there's a million ways he can make them. He always mixes it up and he likes that. He's definitely eating more here than he was at the tower and his body is immensely grateful for it.

While the first side of his omelet cooks, Jason gets more ingredients out from the fridge and cabinets. He's now gained Bruce's attention again. Jason always makes food for himself. Even when Alfred was around, Jason would prefer to make his own food or at least help. But, Bruce is watching him take out milk and flour and that's definitely not a part of Jason's usual breakfast. And Bruce figures out what he's doing as Jason starts measuring for a batter and he smiles fondly to himself, going back to his tablet.

By the time the batter is done, Jason is ready to add cheese to his omelet and flip it over. While he allows it to finish cooking, he grabs the griddle and warms that up. He grabs a plate for both meals and dumps his omelet onto the plate before adding some batter to the griddle. While he cooks the pancakes, he stands at the counter and eats, going to Instagram while he waits.

He scrolls a little before Instagram decides to show him a post from Sam from a week ago because of course, Instagram can't be in chronological order. It's a picture of her and Krypto in her room at the tower. The caption reads "I may have stolen him from a Conner again" and Jason smiles to himself before flipping the pancakes. He remembers when Krypto came to the tower and despite finding out who Conner is, she was still more focused on the dog and Jason thought it was cute. Finding out someone is half Superman and half Lex Luther should have been the most important part of that conversation but not to Sam. It was Krypto. Jason double-taps the picture before clicking her profile.

She posts often, usually a picture a day. It's always a mix of what she decides to post. A lot of it is the Titans though. There are pictures of everyone, some look like she may have forced them to sit for the camera where others are candids. There's one where Gar, Conner, Dick, and Kory are sitting in the living room with Krypto. Dick and Kory are seated beside each other laughing, Conner is laughing beside Gar while Krypto is trying to steal a piece of pizza from Gar as he eats. There's another one of Sam and Kory smiling at the camera together, another one of Sam and Dick. There are pictures of San Francisco, too. Not very many, but a few that look like they were taken from her window at night. And there are a few of just Krypto but most of the pictures Sam is in, she's in with other people. And Jason spots one from a few weeks ago with the two of them and he feels his heart shoot into his throat.