Bree

The wooden target was cracked and faded with age. But it had all the eyes in the tent drawn to it. This worn down target was the star of the show. I was filling in as the dagger tosser today, not that the crowd knew that, only the other performers. I took a shaky breath and released the dagger. It sunk into the hard wood of the targets center with a thud. A lopsided grin made its way onto my face as the crowd filled with hobbits, dwarves, men, women, and children cheered. I threw two more knives until I missed the center completly, the knife imbedding itself into the outer ring. Damn. I strolled over to the target and pulled out the knives. I took a deep bow and exited the stage while the flame eater ran on. I tugged on my tunic's hem and pulled my hair back. I stood near the stage with the other acrobats, awaiting my cue.

The flame eater took his bow and exited the stage, waving at me. I waved back and smiled at him. He looked down and smiled as his brown hair glinted in the lamplight. As he strode over he extended his hand, "Rayner, right? I'm Aedus. Fire eater. In case you hadn't guessed..." He finished as he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. I shook his hand and laughed, "Yes, I'm Rayner. Acrobat and knife tosser. I'll go on soon, but it was good meeting you, Aedus!" His green eyes danced with mischief, "Ah yes, Rayner, famed for her amazing, death defying leaps." I felt the corners of my mouth lift into a grin, "Well, I wouldn't say famed... just close to it. Maybe legendary." "Yeah, yeah just don't let it go to your head, kiddo, you still got us down here to keep ya' grounded." The bell rang outside, signaling the beginning of the acrobats routine. "Gotta go! But catch ya' later?" I laughed at my own joke. "Maybe it'll be me catching you!" Aedus said gently nudging me out onto the stage.

I climbed the ladder up to my stand and looked out over the crowd before beginning the routine. We all went out for a drink at the local tavern after the show had ended but I had stayed late into the night for a drink with Aedus. I was approached by a wandering wizard and asked to join a quest. And that, my friends, is how I found myself standing on Bilbo Baggins' doorstep.